Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

A True Day Off

Happy Father's Day to all the guys out there!!

Today I had what I'll call a true day off.  I didn't run or take Maddie for a walk or garden or do any form of exercise (other than the normal chasing kids around).  It was marvelous.  I haven't had a day like today in a long time.  Instead of doing something for me, I let ADP choose the day's activities - it is, after all, Father's Day.  Our morning consisted of a kids' race and a Father's Day 5K and my job was photographer and cow bell ringer.  It was WONDERFUL!

First up, a picture of all the racers!
Punky, ADP and Bugs
The kids' race was before ADP's, so we were off to the start of their race not long after we picked up their bibs.  Bugs and Punky both ran the 1/2 mile race!  (We added a little running before to participate in the Kids Running for Kids virtual 1K race.)  I was so excited for Bugs and Punky, they both did excellent.  Bugs ran with a group the whole time and Punky paced ADP and kept him in check.  :)

Bugs (in red)
Punky 
Their medals!
When the kids' race was done I took the kids to find a shady spot to cool off and wait for ADP to run by.  This was the second time he has run this particular race (it is the same course as the 5K ADP and I ran a few weeks ago).  Last year ADP ran well and finished in 19:19.  Since it was a lot warmer and much more humid today he wasn't sure what to expect this year.  When we saw him ~mile 1.5 he was looking good!
GO ADP!
One wonderful thing about this course is that after we saw ADP at the half way point we were able to walk (leisurely) over to the finish line and cheer on the runners as they came in to the final stretch of the race.  ADP finished strong...in the EXACT time he finished the race last year!

The kids were tired, hot and getting ornery so we left before the awards were given out.  I looked it up later and found out ADP placed first in his age group.  Too bad we needed to leave.

Tomorrow I'll be back on the treadmill.  Tonight, I plan on continuing my relaxing.

15 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
Wow, what a fun race for the kids and for your hubby! Congrats to him for getting the same time as last year with the crazy heat:) Well done!

Cynthia O'H said...

What a great day. I love the pictures of your kids running.

Congrats to your husband on another impressive time.

christinaleigh said...

sounds like a great day!!!

ajh said...

It was hot. Will they mail him the prize? Sounds like a good day.

P said...

Congrats to all the racers - nice hardware!!

Molly said...

gotta love a day of running, and family!!

Anne said...

Wow! Congrats to ADP for his 1st place AG finish...and congrats to the kids...great photos :)

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Sounds like you had a great day! Congrats to ADP and your kiddos! :)

J said...

Sounds like such a great father's day!! It sure was hot out yesterday!! (I was in Albany and I ran in the morning heat! It was intense!)

Robyn said...

Aww what a perfect Dad's Day!

Darlene said...

Congrats to ADK. Your kids will be great runners with their parents' running genes.

Courtney said...

Sounds like a good father's day to me! And it is really nice to relax, good for you! :)

Wendy said...

Great pictures!

Badgergirl said...

Sounds like a great Father's Day! Congrats to ADP, Punky and Bugs on their races! And the photographer got some great shots too!

The Happy Runner said...

Looks like such a fun time.
ADP is one speedy dude!