Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Training Plans?

I have a dilemma, I don't have a training plan for my next half.  It isn't until October 10, but it is something that I need to find soon for my own piece of mind.  So...

  • Where do you find your training plans?
  • Any recommendations?
I have to say this:  I have found some that I absolutely LOVE!  Any other time I would willingly sign myself up for a more intensive training plan, but I don't think I'll have the time this fall.  I'll be student teaching while I train (at least for the last five weeks of training) and I don't think I'll be able to do more than three runs a week.  I've heard that student teaching can be extremely time consuming so my running days will probably need to be minimized.

  • Should I take the training plans that I like and try to pair them down?  
  • Wing it and see what running I can do during the week and do long runs on the weekend as prescribed by a training plan (remember that I'm extremely type A)?  
  • Other options...because there are always other options.  
  • Quick reminder:  I've run this distance before, so it isn't new to me.
Opinions, suggestions, slaps up-side the head, training plans, and the like will all be accepted.  Just don't tell me I can't run.  :D

17 comments:

J said...

Maybe try the FIRST plan because that has three key workouts a week, and then you can do them as you have time during the week and just add in some easy runs for recovery.

Molly said...

go check out the training plan on the Mountain Goat website....there are three levels to choose from, and I used it for my half last fall. I kept up the long weekend runs, and added the mileage to them where I thought it was necessary. I think the first level only has four runs a week.

Manderz said...

I've use Hal Higdon but only run 3 times a week. I do 2 runs during the week (3-6 depending on time) and then a long run on the weekend (whatever is on the training plan).

I also use the smart training tool off of runners world and I only ran 3x a week.

Lynette said...

I've been using the FIRST program. I'm loving it =) It's set up for 3 days of running and 2 optional days of cross training. I've set 3 pr's this year at various distances with it. You can get the book "run less, run faster" or go to www.furman.edu/first/fmtp.htm for a list of the plans

MCM Mama said...

I like Hal Higdon's plans. I follow the long run plan and tweak the other runs as necessary. Some weeks that meant minor tweaks, some weeks that meant totally disregarding the plan for everything but the long run. Once you've done the distance before, you have an idea what your body needs to get ready.

ajh said...

I pretty much always use Hal Higdon. I try others but come back to his and tweak if needed.

Teamarcia said...

Another vote for FIRST here!

Candice @ I Have Run said...

For my last half, I did a three runs/week plan that was in Runner's World a few months ago. I loved it!! I can tell you what issue it was in or send you a copy of the page if you want...

Good luck figuring out what you want to do. Finding the right training plans is not easy!

P said...

Another vote for the Runner's World plans because they tweak themselves for you - you put in how hard you want to work, your current level of fitness, etc. I always choose the 3 runs/week plan because I love cross-training.

Anne said...

Sounds like you've got lots of options :) That's what I love about the blogosphere...someone is always there to answer our questions and give advice :)
Good luck...I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

Cynthia O'H said...

Find a training plan that you like and start it now. Then, when school starts, you only need to focus on 3 runs a week, with one of them being your long run.

I'm worried about back to school too. It is really going to effect whether I'm able to run a fall marathon or not.

carla said...

looks like you got a lot of tips!

come over to my neck of the net if youre so inclined as we are talking running (did this monday) and also next week.
the plan I decided to use is Hal's Novice Halfmarathon :)

MizFit

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

I use Hal Higdon's plans. He's got one's for novice, intermediate, and advanced, and different levels of each. You should be able to find a good one for your level of experience. Just google "Hal Higdon", and they should come up.

Lorian said...

Higdon is who I usually use. Sometimes I integrate one of the Runner's World plans with it. Good luck...you have a lot on your plate!

nickisnook.net said...

I base my training on Higdon's plans but move between levels. I also sometimes alter to fit my life and fitness.

The Happy Runner said...

I'm a fan of taking a few plans and adapting them to my running style (and, in the case of the new runners this spring, their style).

Karen R said...

I am doing the plan on Runner's World also. My first half marathon is also in October so I was glad to see that others recommended it. I love it because there is a lot of freedom with the cross training :)