Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Suzy's Happy Place

This morning ADP and I had a little miscommunication.  We talked while ADP was making cookies and decided I would get ready.  So, I went upstairs and got ready...I got ready for the day, errands, and all the things that needed to get done.  ADP thought I was going to get ready to take Maddie for a run.  Well, I was cleaned up by the time we realized we were talking about different things so on errands we went.  ADP went to the grocery store and I went to Sam's Club with the kids.

Fast forward to mid-afternoon and I finally made it out on a run.  The first 1.7 miles were with Maddie.  She was so happy to see me grab her leash!  The girl is getting better at running.  Granted, she had pit stops at .25 and .5 miles, but all things considered she did wonderful on today's run.  Maddie didn't appear to get tired until we hit ~1.5 mi.  This is the usual aftermath of a run with me:
Maddie goes in her crate to get away from the kids and to sleep in peace!
I dropped Maddie off and went out on my own for the rest of the run.  It had been way too long since I went out on a longer run on the weekend.  It usually takes me only a few miles to relax and be present.  Today it took until mile five before I was in my happy place.  During my run I got to think about lots of things, one being smiles.  I see so many runners who look like they are in pain or hating what they are doing.  Once I hit "Suzy's Happy Place" I'm all smiles, waving at people, and just enjoying all that comes my way.  When I am running, there are tell tale signs that I'm in my happy place, the only one that is constant 100% of the time is my breathing.  The first few miles of a run I feel like I'm far from relaxed and then all of a sudden my breathing is relaxed, my shoulders drop, and the world immediately around me makes sense.  There is nothing better!

I finished today with 7.66 miles at an average of 9:48/mi.  I usually don't run in the middle of the afternoon, so I'm happy with the results.  Maybe next weekend I'll be able to fit in a few more miles!  I did enjoy a bell pepper and hummus as a post run snack (thank goodness for Sam's Club...I bought the pepper and hummus this morning)!

9 comments:

The Happy Runner said...

Nice run! Glad you got to your happy place :-)

P said...

Terrific run and yummy post-run snack! I love the pic of Maddie. My dog looks much the same after a good run. :-)

ajh said...

Love Maddie's picture!

Cynthia O'H said...

Hmm, I wish I had a crate where I could sleep and hide from the kids after a run! Smart dog!

Good mileage for the afternoon. Running at odd times is always a bit tricky.

J said...

it is nice to just get into the groove and enjoy the run! Your dog is so cute! Must have been really tired from the run!

Stephanie Nichole said...

Oh cutest pup ever!!! I'm working on getting a dog when I finish the 50-- it's too hard to travel so much. I want run I can run FAR with-- I've been seeing all these dogs in marathons lately. Is yours a lab? She seems big (love big dogs)... is she fast?

Heather said...

Great run. Good for you...and your doggy!!

Jill said...

Humus = yummy!! You are good to get in afternoon runs in this heat, I like have to get up at 4a.m. to crank 'em out!

Molly said...

the first mile of a run is always hard for me, glad you got to your happy place! Nice snack too!