Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Surreal Run

This morning's run was nothing less than surreal for me.  I'm sitting on my couch writing this and it doesn't even seem like my run could have happened.  I'm just me, a mom, wife, student, who loves running.  This morning it felt like something more.

Yesterday was Friehofer's Run For Women 5K and the race draws an impressive elite field.  When I was reading the Fleet Feet newsletter earlier this month I noticed there was going to be a recovery run the day after Freihofer's with Adriana Pirtea.  I penciled it in and debated whether to go (I don't like doing two running things on the weekends because it takes too much time away from our family time).  This morning dawned and it was raining cats and dogs.  I skipped my run with Maddie (it was going to be her third run) and stayed in bed a little longer than normal.  Since it was raining the kids asked for a movie.  With the kids watching a movie, my small amount of guilt leaving the family at home quickly disappeared and I headed to Fleet Feet.

When I arrived there was only one other car in the parking lot.  I went in and found that there were only six of us running (Adriana Pirtea, Diane Nukuri-Johnson, Andrew who works at the store, Janice, and the guy who drove Adriana and Diane...I can't remember his name - possibly Patrick).  We waited around for almost 30 minutes but no one else showed even though the rain had stopped.  I have to admit that I was hoping for a whole lot more people.  Let's do a quick review from yesterday's chip times:

  • 13th place, Adriana Pirtea in 16:30 (5:19/mi)
  • 18th place, Diane Nukuri-Johnson in 16:49 (5:25/mi)
  • 1,505 place, Suzanne (ME!!) in 30:53 (9:57/mi, age group 173/379)

I didn't mind being the slowest, but having more people there would have helped.  The group was great about me being slow.  We all started out slow (well, slow to them) and eventually paired off.  Andrew was nice enough to stay with me while the others went on ahead.  I'd like to think we kept the fast group in our sights for the first two miles, but I doubt it was that far.  I don't know how much I held Andrew back, but when we hit the 5K mark I told him to go on ahead because I knew my way back to the store.  I ran 4.1 miles this morning.  I won't go into my splits, but it's enough to say that my "recovery run" 5K (I managed to hit "lap" on my Garmin at the right time) is my new PR at 28:04!  It did start raining during the run, which was fine by me.  Cool + rain is right up my alley.

I stuck around the store and talked the the people working (they weren't open yet) waiting for the others to get back.  I wanted to talk to them a little...Adriana and Diane were very nice...and get a picture.

Diane, Suzanne, & Adriana...they were great and put me in the middle!

Another, this one a little more symmetrical height wise (you can also see the rain coming down if you look at the parking lot)

Fleet Feet gave me an asics running hat for showing up.  I don't know if they were planning on giving out hats, or if it was because I was one of the only people who was there.  Either way, Thanks Fleet Feet!  You're awesome.
Back to your regularly scheduled programming.  I am confident in saying nothing this exciting is going to happen to me again for a while so it's back to the treadmill tomorrow.

16 comments:

Java Joggers said...

So very cool! Glad you went and had that experience. Isn't being a runner great?!? :)

ajh said...

Wow! That is way cool! I love your new hat. It certainly was (and still is) pouring this morning. Good for us for getting out there!

Oh yeah, I liked the way you showed the racer's places with yours!

P said...

What an exciting morning - and congrats on your new PR! :-)

JenLo said...

That is SO cool!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Congrats on a new PR, and woohoo for a cool running hat! :)

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

What a great experince! Congrats on the great run.

LMC said...

That is so very cool!! What a great day for you, running with the Stars, a new PR and a new hat. Awesome! Have a great week!

Anne said...

These are the kinds of things that happen when we get out there and live life :) Awesome story!! I'm so happy for you...that is such an exciting way to start your day. Congrats on your PB, great time...and very cool pics!
Love the hat...

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Wow what a great morning. Who would have thought that you would get to enjoy this recovery run and pr at the same time. Odd how things work out.

Nice pictures

Molly said...

That's awesome!!! I can't get over Adriana's abs.....great job on the Friehofers run too.

thanks for linking my giveaway Chickie!

J said...

Wow what a great experience!! Sounds like a fun run, glad it didn't rain!!

onelittletrigirl said...

How do I go about getting Adriannas abs?? WOW!

I am slow too...and I embrace it. Slow is still moving and I love to move! Way to embrace who you are Suzy!

Cynthia O'H said...

The hat looks great on you!

Congrats on your run. It's definitely one for the books.

Badgergirl said...

Sounds like a great experience this morning!

Karen R said...

Terrific weekend for you! How fun :) I'm sure the kiddos were proud of you too

Darlene said...

So exciting - so jealous - I was in NYC or would have gone. Hope to see you again soon!