Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Freihofer's 2010 RR

I have to say, this is one of the best Freihofer's I've ever run!  There is definitely something to be said about having friends and family there for the race.

Yesterday I went to the expo, picked up my bib (#111), did a little shopping, and met some people.  I've never gone to the expo the day before the race and I loved it!  There were very few people there considering how many people participate in the event (~4,000 runners, hundreds of kids racing, and the community walk).

Me and JenLo, a fellow blogger
Me and Felice, a.ka. The Happy Runner

I just had to buy another Bondi Band for the race

The swag...a box for me, a box for Bugs, a box for Punky
The rest of my Friday was busy and I didn't get to bed until almost 10 p.m. (I usually crash about 8:30, so 10 is very late for me).

Saturday dawned warm and humid.  I have no idea what the temp was during the race, but it certainly wasn't my preferred 45F (it was more like 75F).  We had a few pictures before the race.
Me and JenLo

Bugs, Me, and Punky

Me and Amanda
Once the pre-race photo session was done and everyone made one last pit-stop we lined up.  I have no words to describe the starting line (packed in like sardines doesn't quite cut it).  Amanda and I decided to run together.  We've run other races together and we hadn't seen each other since the Ragnar Relay so it was good to catch up.  We were going to shoot for 30 minutes, but as soon dismissed it when we were still walking after almost 1/4 mi because we were still packed in.  New goal, negative splits (we figured we couldn't get much slower)!
1/2 mile into the race...hot, sweaty, and happy
There are two water stops during this 5K and Amanda and I both took full advantage.  One cup of water down the hatch and one over the head.  The second mile has always been the hardest for me but after running outdoors for the better part of a year, hill repeats, and a change of perspective from the Ragnar Relay hills - I didn't think it was too bad this year.
.6 miles to go and I'm all smiles!
We made it out of the park and counted down the meters to go.  Not only was the finish coming up quickly, but it helps that the last 800 meters are basically downhill!  Amanda and I separated at 400 meters left and I stretched my legs and picked it up.  I've been trying to finish all my runs strong and today was no different.

Now for the splits (3.17 mi):
  1. 11:06/mi  (I told you it was slow!)
  2. 9:45/mi (much better)
  3. 9:04/mi (it's warm and finally flat)
  4. 0:59 for 0.17 mi, 5:51/mi equiv (where did that come from?)

DONE!!!  Another Freihofer's 5K completed...now where are the cookies?

Felice's running group.  The majority of the group is new runners and this was their first 5K.  They all did AWESOME!!  I think lots of them are hooked on running.
When we were done with the race and some more pictures I was off to the 50 meter kids' races.  Bugs and Punky did great!  I love running, but the fact that my kids want to run and stay fit means more to me than any medal (or box of cookies) ever will.

Official times will be up later today.  Until then...  2009 chip time:  32:37.9.  2010 watch time:  30:54.3

17 comments:

J said...

Enjoy those cookies!! Looks like a fun race! Great job!

Julie said...

Way to go Suzy! Congrats on your fantastic PR:)

ajh said...

Excellent job! Love the cookies!

Tricia said...

congrats!

P said...

Woo hoo for you!! That's a terrific time, you earned those cookies!

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

Great job! I love the Bondi band.

I hope you enjoyed some cookies!

Karen R said...

Very cool! I loved that you met up with other bloggers too! And my favorite part of this blog entry is that you ran for cookies :)

onelittletrigirl said...

Great photos- you are such a happy runner!!!

Cynthia O'H said...

Cookies before the race?? Sign me up for next year's event!

And you kept in your timeframe with all of those runners. Great job.

MomRunningFromCancer said...

I agree that it is great that your children get to participate. Sounds like you had a great run with a friend.

Anne said...

Woohoo! Congrats on a great race Suzy!

The Happy Runner said...

Great job -- it was definitely a fun time! The kids race was nuts but I'm glad we did it.

Black Knight said...

Congrats on your PR and the great negative split. I think that you can run faster without all the crowded pack. Beautiful pics.

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Congrats on your race and the negative splits! I also hate the beginning of races where everyone is packed so tight you can't even run!

It must have been fun to have so many fellow runners there with you. And, I'm sure watching your kids was awesome too! :)

JenLo said...

So fun meeting you at the race! You made great time, especially considering we had to walk so far to get to where it thinned out enough to run! Congrats!!

Badgergirl said...

Nice job! And those cookies look tasty!

Candice @ I Have Run said...

Great job!! And great recap!! I love that you have a running group. And jealous that you and Felice know each other!