Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Brain Exchange, v. 12 and a Request

I've been bad and missed the the last few Brain Exchange posts.  I'm going to try to get back at it starting today.  If you want to be involved, stop by Finishing is Winningand answer for yourself.  It really is that easy!  This week is all about summer.


Topic: Motivational Quotes and Personal Mantras
Question: What are some of your favorite motivational quotes/sayings?  Do you have any personal mantras you use while dealing with tough times on the race course?
When I'm running I don't have a mantra that I use.  When the running is tough, I focus on my breathing or footfalls.  I think the closest that I get to a running mantra is reminding myself to just put one foot in front of the other.
I try to live life following the mantra Love the Life You Live.  There are things we all have to do that we don't love (like cleaning the bathroom), but I try to make the best of every situation. Everything else I do I try to follow this mantra.  Reminding myself to love my life can turn a blah situation into one where I'm having a great time.  I have the power to change how the situation affects me personally, so I'm going to choose to enjoy it all to the best I can.
Now for a request.  I recently started following Cynthia's blog, Balls in the Air, and she is hosting a virtual kids race called Kids Running for Kids.  The proceeds from her race are going to the Sick Kids Foundation.  Why?  Cynthia's oldest had a brain tumor when he was 5 and she wants to give back to the organization that helped them; check out Cynthia's blog for the full story.  The race:  run 1K (.62 miles) with you child between June 19 and June 27 and then go to her blog and donate $2.  (This will be at the top of my sidebar with links until June 27 so it is easy to find.)  We'll be participating this weekend!


Juneathon update:  My legs were tired this morning so I decided my treadmill run should have negative splits starting s.l.o.w. (well, slower than normal).  I started at ~11 min/mi and shaved 30 seconds off every mile finishing with 5.39 miles done!  My legs were tired when I started and by the end I was ready to keep right on going.  Too bad I ran out of time.

5 comments:

onelittletrigirl said...

I don't have any kids but I will be donating for sure!

Katelyn said...

Hey Suzy-- you asked about what ARE runs I am doing and one that I am really looking forward to is the July Run and Tube (http://www.areep.com/2010/apps/0717rube.pdf). Everybody says it is a ton of fun! I have never run that far before... Freihofer's 5K was my longest, so I am working towards being able to run 4.5. It is just a fun run though!

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

Great attitude! It's all a choice.

I will be hoping over to to check out the virtual race.

Anne said...

Great mantra to live by...I have many favorites, one of which is:
Live each day as if it were your last, BUT, remember it might not be :)

Cynthia O'H said...

Thanks for the shout out!

I have a lot of favorite quotes, which reminds me: it's time to update mine.