Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Answering Maddie Questions

A few of my faithful readers (love you guys and gals) have asked questions here and there about Maddie.  So, I figured I'd try my best to answer those questions.  We rescued Maddie just after her third birthday at the end of April this year.  Her original owners said she is a yellow lab/golden retriever mix.  She has traits of both; her coloring and short fur are more lab whereas her personality and build are more retriever.  We've been able to piece together her first three years and the sad part is that she was crated all the time (or so it seems).  Not only was she crated, but when we took her on her first walks it was evident that she had rarely been walked.  The combination of treats, no walks, and lots of time in a crate was extra weight.  We are trying hard to walk her daily and she now goes on weekly runs.  I don't know how far or fast she'll be able to go once she drops 10 pounds.  Until she drops some more weight we don't plan on pushing her.  The first time she went on a run she was worn out pretty quickly, even though the run was as slow as molasses runs.  This weekend she did not slow down until about 1.5 miles.  I say she's improving!  Tomorrow we head back to the vet to see if she's lost any weight (she weighed ~85# last month).  My fingers are crossed.

Juneathon update:  I had a slow and not so steady 3.3 miles on the treadmill this morning.  I woke to this:
It was a cool, foggy morning and my brain seemed to have cobwebs.  The cobwebs didn't clear even after my run.  Thankfully, we don't have a lot going on today.  

Week Plan:
Monday:  4 miles (eeked out 3.3)
Tuesday: 5 miles
Wednesday:  walk Maddie, cry at preschool graduation (crying is an exercise, right?)
Thursday:  5 miles
Friday:  4 miles
Saturday:  Last day herding, a.k.a. coaching, 5 year old soccer
Sunday:  5-9 miler (I don't know how far I want to go...partially because ADP has a race this morning)

9 comments:

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Great plan for the week! Crazy weather! CA is sweating in the 90s and you are having rain!

(Love the new blog layout by the way!)

Java Joggers said...

Preschool graduation? Of course crying is an exercise. Just remember to hydrate well before, during, and after :)

Black Knight said...

Crazy weather there. Here it's beach time. I love Maddie!!!! My lady cat Gioconda says hi to Maddie.

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Aw..that's so great that you rescued Maddie and are now helping her live a better life! :) We rescued our dog from a shelter too and now he's a great part of our family.

The weather has been blah here too. Cold, rainy, foggy...blah! Hopefully it will all clear up soon.

Velma said...

Maddie sounds awesome and good for you for rescuing her. Crying is OK :)

Katie H said...

Aw, I'm so glad you guys rescued Maddie. She sounds like a doll! My co-worker's daughter is graduating from preschool this Friday and she is very emotional as well. Kids are so adorable at this age!

Zoë said...

Aw, Maddie sounds like she hit the jackpot on finding the perfect family!
Crying definitely can be an exercise. :)

LMC said...

Sounds like Maddie has a great home with you and your family! Hope you have alot of good long walks together. Good luck with your running plans this week!

carla said...

MAN I admire your love of the run.

I aspire to have yer love of the run.

MizFit