Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

I Ran a 5K...

This morning at 9 a.m. (or there-abouts*) I ran a 5K.  I found a 5K that let people run with jogging strollers, so I signed the family up for what I have been calling our 'Family 5K.'  The race was the 1st Annual Andy Haller Memorial 5K.  All the proceeds went to a burn unit in the area.  Like so many things, I don't know who Andy Haller was and I don't know where the Fuller Road Fire Department is, but it didn't stop me from running in the race.

We got to the race with plenty of time to spare.  It was partly cloudy and ~65F at 9 a.m. this morning.  Once ADP and I picked up our bibs we found some people to take our picture and we let the kids warm up.

Punky and Bugs warming up
ADP, Punky, Bugs, Suzy before the race
ADP pushed the stroller loaded with the kids (32# stroller + 91# of kid + wind resistance) and I did the running solo thing.  ADP started at the back of the runners and I started toward the front.  Even so, ADP creamed just about everyone there.
He started at the back of the pack and still pulled off 10th place!  (ADP just informed me that he stopped and retied his shoe during the race as well.)
My race was a little different.  I don't cream people.  I don't run fast.  I also don't like running when it is over 50F outside.  So, this was a little out of my running comfort zone.  I did my best though.

  • Mile 1:  Stuck in the middle of a bunch of emergency response personnel, 8:16/mi
  • Mile 2:  Help two different people keep going and not give up, walk up an 'ant' hill, gladly accept water from Girl Scouts, 9:45/mi
  • Mile 3:  See ADP headed to the finish and realize how warm I actually am, 9:43/mi
  • .16 mi:  I can see the finish and I hear Bugs and Punky cheering, 1:15 (7:38/mi equiv)
Garmin:  3.16 mi, 28:59
Chip:  3.1 mi, 29:01 (*no one knew the race had started due to communication error between the starting line and timers of the race, so I'm going to my 28:59)

Coming into the finish
Wiped out & swinging my arms for all they are worth so I keep moving.  Both feet are off the ground...max speed 10.7 mph
The verdict:  I'm happy with my new 5K PR of 28:59 (previous PR was 32:28)!  I can't wait to find a 5K race in the dead of winter so I can blow it out of the water.  So, when does winter start?

ADP and Suzy after the race.  I wore my Sweaty Band that I won from a Run, Courtney, Run giveaway!  It was great and didn't move at all.

21 comments:

J said...

Great job on the 5k! You and ADP did great! Can't believe he got 10th while running with the jogger!! Congrats!

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Congrat's Suzy! Today was a scorcher for a 5K. You totally destroyed that old 5K PR too. :)

ajh said...

congrats on the PR! Looks like you had fun. And no I am not done school. The poster was for teacher appreciation week.

Katie's Dailies said...

Congrats!! You're looking good there in that last photo.

I love my sweaty band headbands! I have really thick hair and they're the only ones I've found that don't pop off my head before the first block and they really keep the hair off my face.

Congrats again, and I hope you have a happy week!

LMC said...

Congrats on the new PR! You look pretty good for just finishing a race. That's a pretty cool family pic too. Have a great week!

Jenn said...

Nice work!! Great Job on the PR. Such a cute pic of the kids "warming up"! Great job to your hubby as well! Those aren't little tiny babies either! Looks like you had a great time!

Darlene said...

WooHoo!!! I love PRs! Congrats!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Great race pics! Congrats on the PR!

roxie said...

You two go fer it! Love the photos. Mum

Badgergirl said...

Holy cow ADP's speedy with that jogging stroller! And way to blow the PR out of the water! Congrats to the entire family on a great race!

Christine said...

Yeah for your new PR!!! I don't like the heat either and already dreading the warm weather to come. Race day here was 45 with a cool breeze and luckily no rain (amazing!). So cool that the whole family was together.

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
I love the family races:) My four year old would love to run in a race...he always says, "Mama, I want to run too!" I need to find one that has a shorter distance that I could do with him. Nice work on your 5K! Congrats on the PR:) Good job to your hubby too!

Staci Dombroski said...

Great job on your PR!!! That is awesome that you did a family run! I would take your Garmin time too!

Robyn said...

That's an awesome time and sounds like a fun and different kind of race!

Candice @ I Have Run said...

Great job and congrats on the PR! I can't believe your hubby's amazing time while PUSHING THE JOGGER!! You both did awesome!

The Happy Runner said...

GREAT job!!
I can't believe your hubby. Pushing two kids, starting at the back AND finishing 10th? That's just awesome.

Congrats on the huge PR!

Mark said...

You ran great!!

Manderz said...

Great job Suzy!! Seriously you would have killed that 5k even more if it was cooler! ADP needs to enter more races and bring home the prizes ;)

Love the pictures of the kids - lokos like they had a blast

Miriam said...

Congrats on the new PR. I love family friendly 5ks. It's so important for kiddos to see their parents being active.

Wayne said...

Hopefully, winter starts in about
3 years. In fact, we who live in the mountains are having trouble getting out of the last winter and into spring.

Christina said...

I'm with you on when does winter start. Unfortunately summer is just starting and I have lots of hot running to do in Phoenix. Come winter though I am aiming for a PR in the 5K. Good job on your PR!