Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Busy and Fun Weekend

This weekend was a busy one and it is the first of many.  Spring sports have started so we are at the soccer and baseball fields almost all day Saturday.  I'm helping coach Punky's soccer team (a.k.a. corralling eleven 4 and 5 year olds).
This morning I slept in (which is 7:30 for me) and tooled around home before going out on my run.  It was 73F when I headed out.  I haven't run outside in weather over 50F since last fall and it was a shock to my system.  I put my garmin on my fuel belt so I couldn't easily see it - today i was running by feel.  
I'm no longer wearing my New Balance shoes for running.  They gave me enough blisters to last a lifetime so they are retired to errand running.

I took off and before the first mile was done I had sweat dripping off my nose and chin.  Have I mentioned that I love winter?  Well, I do and I want it back...NOW!  Since Mother Nature isn't going to listen and send a freak snowstorm my way, I ventured on.  
Today's run took me through four different subdivisions.  They were all built about a decade apart so the houses were 40, 30, 20, and 10 years old depending on what part of my run I was on.  It was fun to see the differences in the subdivisions in the spring.  One of the best part about the subdivision I live in is that the builder made sure to leave the mature trees up when he build the houses!  We have lots of beautiful trees which means lots of shade.
I dropped the camera off at home after 3 miles and went on my way after getting a quick picture of myself.  I wore my new Running Skirts Mesh Tank that I won.  It was perfect for today.  And yes, I used lots of sunscreen!  I also wore my Yurbuds running for the first time!  I love them.
Since I was running by how I felt, I had no idea of my pace.  I just listened to my heart rate and breathing and adjusted accordingly.  I was pleasantly surprised when I got home to see my 7.07 mile run had an ave pace of 10:16/mi.  I was expecting 11+ because of the heat and different time of day!  


I hope you had a great weekend too!

19 comments:

Katie said...

Your daughter is adorable- a little mini me! I would much rather run in colder temps than in warm/hot ones. I didn't get up as early as you so no run for me today... waaaay too hot! Nice work!

onelittletrigirl said...

And I love summer!! Even though today was brutal!!

Jenn said...

Yeah-after all the complaining I did about the winter I really don't know how I'm going to make it through the heat of summer! Nice job on the 7-miler!

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Suzy - great run - good idea to just run based on feel . . . especially until you get use to the warmer temp's.

Although I LOVE warmer temp's - I run first thing early in the morning - 5:30 - 6:00. But there are times that it is pretty warm at that time. I see people in the middle of the summer running at lunch time or mid afternoon and just shake my head . . . I don't know how they do it.

MomRunningFromCancer said...

Oh - I forgot to ask how Maddie is doing? Is she adjusting to the household?

Anne said...

No no, no more snow...you did great see...summer is good.

Seeing you and your daughter reminds me of when I used to coach my daughter's soccer team when she was 5...she's now 20! :)

ajh said...

I love winter too. I do like summer but I like a little more time between a blizzard and then 80 degrees!
Nice pace on a hot day!

MCM Mama said...

Nice pace, given the heat. I was pouring down sweat after a five mile run today. I'd be happy to go back to winter, as long as it didn't include the huge storms we got this year.

Karen R said...

Sounds and looks like a beautiful run! You are very "New York" with the comments about the warm running weather today :) I'm a total California girl so that weather sounds perfect for a run! I love the pix of you and your daughter. Mom-kid pictures are some of my favorites :)

Bethany + Ryan said...

cute pic of u and your daughter!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Cute pic! Good job getting the run done in the heat!

The Happy Runner said...

Looks like a great weekend! I used to ref youth soccer so I know what you mean about the corralling. They were funny out there!

And the Fleet Feet loot looks awesome! Sad I missed it -- glad you had a good time!

Staci Dombroski said...

Way to go on your run!! Your picture of you and your daughter is adorable!!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Sounds like you had a great run! Yay! If you want winter back, come visit CO. We're supposed to get a rain/snow mix on Friday with a high of only 48degrees! Isn't is supposed to be spring?

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
Good job on your long hot run:) I am not looking forward to running in 80 degree weather and humidity...yuck! Your daughter looks so much like you:) She is such a cute little girl!

J said...

Your daughter looks so much like you! She is so cute! It sure was hot out this weekend! Great run!

Tricia said...

I love their mesh tanks! And your little one is too cute!

Molly said...

oh yeah, running in the warm temps for the first time is a shocker, but you did great!

JenLo said...

Hey, if you do Friday Fanfare, my 12-year-old daughter and I are running her very first 5K tomorrow for Make A Wish foundation. Exciting!!