Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Brain Exchange, V. 7

Stop by Finishing Is Winning if you want to get in on the fun!
Topic:  Music
Question:  Do you listen to music when you work out?  When you race?  What are you top ten favorite songs to get pumped up to?
I used to listen to music every time I ran outside, but I stopped last summer.  When I looked up the info for my first half marathon I saw that headphones were not allowed and the course was open to traffic, so I stopped running with my music.  The surprising part is that I started enjoying my outdoor runs even more.  When I'm on the treadmill I watch TV because music doesn't cut it.  
I have run a few times this spring with music, but it was more for my mental well being than  to help my running.  I tend to work through everything going on in life while I'm running and I needed a break from all my thinking - music helps.  I don't have a top 10.  My favorite songs are all country and there aren't a lot of country songs that are fast enough to help keep a good cadence.

5 comments:

onelittletrigirl said...

I love country music!! And I agree. Oddly enough, I love hip hop when I am running but I wouldn't listen to it just anytime.

Around here, they always say headphones aren't allowed, but everyone wears them anyway.

Ewa said...

It really depends on my mood and where I run. I never listen to music on trails. Birds and wind provide enough entertainment. On roads I will listen either to music or my favorite radio station or go without.

I cannot do exercise machines, treadmills, ellipticals or rowing without TV, even if programming sucks, I need something to distract me from drudgery.

Karen R said...

I love music and am usually motivated by it! I am with you on the country music - love it! Terri Clark music usually has a good beat - I enjoy running to her music.

And, I agree with onelittletrigirl above - hip hop is great when at the gym or running :) Maybe it's because it reminds me that when I am out on a weekend night, I want to look fit!

Have a great week!

ajh said...

Funny I think some of my best fastest music to run to is country. The Dixie Chicks are great to run to!

Katie's Dailies said...

I like running to alternative rock and U2. Alt rock usually for my speed workouts and U2 for my long runs. They help me relax and keep going.