Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

48 Hours Later

I've been home for almost 48 hours and I'm still on a high from the Ragnar Relay!  I learned a few things about myself that I forgot to post previously:

  • I am now confident I can run at anytime of day
  • I don't want to see another porta-potty for a very long time
  • I like running with groups (granted, I was mostly alone when running, but was with people for the rest of the time)
  • I can run on little sleep
  • Music can help when you are running on little sleep
I slept for 13 hours when I got home and then took Maddie for her first run Sunday morning.  We took it slow and Maddie needed two pit stops.  I'm proud of my pup and her first 1.6 miler!  I know she's going to turn into a great running partner.

When I cleaned up I surprised the kids with this:
It's temporary and both kids thought it was silly that I had a tattoo.

Question:  If someone asks how long you've run what do you say?  What should I say?  I started running  12 years ago.  Took a ~year off of exercising because of school.  I ran my first 5K in 2002.  I took time off for injury and pregnancies, but always came back when well enough.  Do I say I've run 12 years?  8 years (since my first 5K)?  2 years (since the last time I was injured and had to take time off)?  I have been running, but haven't considered myself a runner until this past year so I don't know how to answer.  How long have I been a runner?

17 comments:

Bethany + Ryan said...

hmm good question. i would say how ever many years you have been running maybe? so if you started 12 years ago but took say 3 years off at different times say 9 years? i dunno. or 12. did you never run at all during those "off years?" you must have run at some point in which case i would just say 12. you could say on and off for 12 years but i think 9 years sounds better, don't say on and off, that gives the wrong impression. good question.

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

Your tat' is great! ;-)

If the question is how long have you been a runner then the answer is easy. At what point did you consider yourself a runner. From stride one or your first race or when?

I think you are a runner from the first time you lace up those shoes, take that run and then think "when can I run again?" as you are taking off those shoes!

Mark said...

I think you've been a runner 12 years...we have seasons to our running, I've had months where I didn't run a lick but I was still a runner. Nice tat!

Teamarcia said...

Love the tat and still have to catch up on your adventure. I'd say you've been a runner for 12 years.

J said...

You have been a runner since you started running 12 years ago!! Even though you may have taken time off that doesnt mean you stopped being a runner!

ajh said...

I think you have been a runner as long as you think you have. I would go by when I started I think. Glad you loved the relay.

Candice @ I Have Run said...

I SO want to do Ragnar!! Someday.

I'm not sure about what to tell people. I always give way too much info because I am kind of in the same boat, started running and then stopped for about 9 months to have a baby.

Love the tat!

Karen R said...

I started running in January of this year but when people ask me how long I've been a runner, I say "Since kindergarten - the boys chased us at recess. I just took about 25 years off and then decided to get healthy." :)

As you can see, I believe you have been a runner as long as you have been running. Oh - and love the fake tattoo thing! I keep a few around myself in case I get in the mood to have a different look :)

EricaH said...

i vote you make the tattoo permanent :)

Hey just shoot me an email at erica_haggins@hotmail.com with your shipping info and I will pass it along to the company so they can get your prize out to ya

Nicole Orriëns said...

I always count back to the birth of my fourth child who is now nine years old. It was after his birth I started running.

http://www.momshomerun.blogspot.com

onelittletrigirl said...

That is a great question!! Wish I thought of it for MBE!!!

I say I have been active sinbce 2007. I was always athletic but I started this journey in 2007.

Paige (Two Runners And A Brown Dog) said...

12 years! We all have things that sideline us from time to time...even during those times, you're still a runner!

NY Wolve said...

I agree with Nicole -- anyone with kids is a runner form the day they can walk.

Staci Dombroski said...

Congratulations!!! I am so jealous :) Love the temporary tattoo!

Molly said...

Exactly what you said, you started running 12 years ago. Once a runner always a runner I say.

Lorian said...

I say I have been running on and off for the last 15...now it is 16 years. Before that I never ran, unless I was being chased...ha! I took time off from running for the same reasons as you...so saying 12 years is totally legit!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

I love temporary tatoos...I think they're so fun!

I think you say 12 years because that's when you started. The time off in the middle doesn't really matter! :)