Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Three Things Thursday - Excitement Edition

One
I unplugged for seven days last week and I really missed reading everyones updates, happenings, and race reports.  Even through I missed being online, a good part about unplugging is that I stopped comparing my running to everyone else's running.  I realized I have been trying to keep up with others.  Number one rule in my running book:  run your own race (whether it be a run or a race).  Well, I found my own run again and I've loved all my runs last week and this week.  Yup, I even liked running hills this week and not just when they were done!  I think I need a poster by my running things reminding me to go at my own pace.  I can tell you this without any doubt:  I am excited to run tomorrow!

Two
I am excited to share that this morning I hit one of my goals:  a 100 mile month!  This makes three of four months I've run 100 miles (can we just ignore February?).  Next up is the 400 mile mark...only 16.8 miles to go!

Three
The rest of today is going to be splendid.   I get to visit kindergarten because they are studying my favorite artist (Monet) and I'm helping Bugs with sharing.  I hope to have exciting hews later this afternoon.  And, tonight is Diva Night at the local Fleet Feet.  It's an exciting day.

Random
No Thursday is complete without a little random information having to do with one of my hobbies*.


Heinrich Steinweg
Heinrich Englehardt Steinweg was born on February 15, 1797, the youngest of 12 children.  B the time he was 15, Steinweg had lost all of his brothers and his father to the Napoleonic Wars.  His mother died of exposure while hiding from soldiers, and Steinweg was left alone.  He, too, was drafted into the army in 1815.  He survived his military service, and despite a complete lack of musical training began a career as an instrument maker.  His first creation was a zither.  In 1818, he found a job at an organ builder's shop.  Legend has it that he build his first piano in his kitchen and presented it to his bride, Juliane Thiemer, as a wedding gift.  They later had seven children.  In 1849, as the political climate in Germany became unstable again, one of their sons, Theodore, emigrated to America.  A year later his father followed.  On March 5, 1853, Steinweg opened a piano factory that he christened with an Americanized version of the family name:  Henry Steinway and Sons.


*I don't have a Steinway, but I do play the piano and have my whole life.

17 comments:

Molly said...

congrats on the 100 miles!! Love your new layout.....

Katie said...

Congrats on a great running month! February totally doesn't count, it's extra short :) Can't wait to hear your exciting news!

onelittletrigirl said...

I missed you while you were unplugged! I love the new layout as well!

Staci Dombroski said...

The new layout looks great!!! You are doing awesome with your mileage!

Courtney said...

Congrats on the 100 miles! Hopefully one day, I'll start having 100 mile months :)

Ewa said...

I was wondering who the heck Steinweg was. What a life! I will never listen to piano performances (those on Steinway) without thinking about him. Thanks for sharing.

I wish I could unplug. I think it would do me good. For that though I have to go backpacking though. I can't do it when I am at home. I am a weak person. :( BUT how else would I learn about Mr. Steinweg.?

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Woohoo for reaching 100 miles! That's awesome! :)

J said...

Congrats on the 100 mile month! That is awesome! Glad you are loving running again! I sometimes compare myself to others too and its hard because i want to run faster and farther but I know that I can't and that I will just hurt myself!

Heidi said...

It's so nice to rediscover the love of running and what it means to you.

Congrats on another 100 mile month. That's my goal this month. I got a slow start, then a bit of an injury, but I think I'm still going to reach it. I hope it becomes one of many to come!

The Jogger Blogger said...

100 miles is awesome! And don't count February-you just didn't have as many days to reach that goal!

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
Way to rock it this month and bust out 100 miles:) I would be thrilled...congrats!

ajh said...

You are oozing happiness and excitement. How great! Can't wait to hear your news.

Candice @ I Have Run said...

You are rocking the miles! Way to go!!

I think your "run your own race" advice is perfect. I sometimes find myself feeling like I'm so slow compared to some other bloggers instead of focusing on how much faster I have become.

Tricia said...

congrats on the miles!

saundra said...

Love your new design! Congrats on another 100 mile month.

Judi said...

Love the tidbit about Steinways. I never knew their history! We have a Boston which is also made by Steinway. My husband plays and so far three of the four kids are playing. I am learning a lot since I have to help with the practicing!

That is great that you play too!

The Happy Runner said...

Lots of excitement :-)
Congrats on the month! That's awesome.

Wish I had been able to make it last night but my eye was still a mess and, honestly, with everything going on I forget. I was really looking forward to it, though :-(