Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Group Run, a Vent & a Book

Today was another group run for The Happy Runner's new runners group.  The group was small today; it didn't matter - we had a great time.  I arrived early because I was planning on running six miles today.  I got caught up in the nice weather and went too fast.

  • Run 1 mile:  8:31
  • Walk .25 mile (side-ache): 3:22, ...13:22 equivalent
  • Run .5 mile:  4:19, ...8:31 equivalent
I usually don't run after lunch and had the side-ache to prove it.  I was planning on running three miles before everyone arrived and it most definitely did not happen.  Oh well.  Since my side was still hurting some and it wasn't time to get together with the group I walked around and took some pictures.

a lake we ran around

it was a little windy

one of the many paths at the park


me, attempting to take a picture without my sunglasses...should have left them on because my eyes were watering by the time I took the picture

Perfect timing, right as I was finishing with my picture taking the others arrived.  We were in two groups again today...the run-run group and the run-walk group.  Both groups were great!  Darlene and I ran 3.12 miles together.  Once again I had to stop to stretch my side (I turned my garmin off when I stopped and actually remembered to turn it back on this time!).  
  • Mile 1:  10:16
  • Mile 2:  10:02
  • Mile 3:  10:06
  • .12 mile:  53 seconds, ...7:25 equivalent
We had a quick group photo before we went our separate ways.
Jen, Felice, Me, Darlene

It was great to be done.  I finished with 4.88 miles today (9:44 ave pace) which isn't close to 6, but I'll take it.  

Now a vent.  When I spend money on shoes I want them to treat me well.  Running shoes are expensive (even when they are on sale).  I have 200+ miles on the New Balance shoes I wore today and I am STILL getting blisters.  I will not be buying them again.  So, what should I do with an expensive pair of shoes that give me blisters?  I have no idea.  Grrr.

Finally, one of the other loves of my life:  books.  I won a book from I'm a Sleeper Baker!!!  It couldn't be more perfect because I love reading.  Between reading, running and kids I'm surprised I get anything done (like blogging).  I can't wait to read it, but first I need to finish my book for book club tomorrow night (only 170 pages left, Gah!).  Also, if you are curious about what I've been reading, scroll way-way-way down and there at the bottom on the right are the books I've recently finished.  I've read 21 books so far this year.  The next one I start will be:


15 comments:

Darlene said...

The run was fun. Thanks for pushing me along. I love that you list books on your blog. I love to read and am always looking for recommendations.

Meg said...

It looks like you had a fun run, great job! I also love the pictures! My husband bought some Nike LunarGlides at $100+ and then decided that they gave him blisters that he couldn't handle so we gave them away on my blog! He had only worn them twice and the new owner loves them! Just a thought! I was pretty ticked off too though...$100???!!

ajh said...

Love the pictures!

saundra said...

I bought a pair of NB once that did not work for me for running. They became know as "the most expensive weekend shoes I've ever owned". Live and learn...

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
Nice job on your run girl!! I also love the pictures:) I really enjoy running with a group because it makes me go faster and the time seems to fly! Congrats on your book win! Happy Monday Suzy:)

Molly said...

I was going to ask you if you got the book!

Looks like you guys had a nice route, ugh, for the side ache, I hate hate hate those!

and thanks for posting my new giveaways!!

Black Knight said...

Nice pics, you live (and run) in a very beautiful place.

The Happy Runner said...

Sorry about those stitches :-( Glad you took some pics, though. It was good seeing you yesterday!!

I meant to tell you that I have the travel size stick. It's a little smaller than the regular ones but works well and is a good size for bringing to races and such.

J said...

I totally wanted to win that book in the giveaway! It sure was windy this weekend, I was too cold in the wind, then too hot when there was no wind! I couldn't win!

onelittletrigirl said...

I wish I had blogging buddies to run with! You all look great after your run!

I think you have to suck up that money lost and buy a new, and better, pair. I love my Brooks. Usually run me about $100. Good luck!

Staci Dombroski said...

Do you think it is the shoe giving the blisters or your socks? That is awesome about the run! I loved all the pictures :) I hope you have a wonderful week!

Judi said...

Beautiful photos - I love running near water! Group runs are so fun, it looks like you had a great time. I can't eat much before a run either I think that is why I prefer early morning runs!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

That must have been fun to run with a group! Sorry about your side-aches...those always suck!

About your shoes: Are they too loose? Have you tried wearing different socks? I would go back to the store where you got them, tell them your problem, and see what they say. They may have a really good solution.

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Great picture! Yuck on the blisters! I used to get some really really bad (and huge) blisters...I started using superfeet inserts and I am blister free (plus, the extra cushion is fabulous)!

Katie said...

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that forgets to turn my Garmin back on! It seems that I always remember to do that when I'm almost home!

Sorry about your blisters. Those really stink. I just switched from Brooks over to Mizunos and really like how the Mizunos fit my feet, but.... I have a new crop of blisters, too. Thankfully they aren't keeping me from running though. Funny how those crop up after all these years of running, huh?