Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Today's Goal: Go Slow

I know it isn't every day that runners try to go slow, but I needed it today.  One year ago I was working hard to run at a 12 minute mile.  Then, as I trained for my first half marathon (Oct 2009) I got faster.  I'm not fast by any means, but I'm a lot faster than I was a year ago.  Lately my outdoor runs have been races against everything I have going on.  I haven't been able to slow down, so today's focus was to run slower than a 10 min mile (Monday's outdoor run yielded an ave. pace of 8:46/mi and a wicked sideache).  
  • Mile 1:  9:58 = FAIL
  • Mile 2:  9:50 = FAIL, going the wrong direction
  • Mile 3:  9:54 = FAIL, is it possible for me to go slower?
  • Mile 4:  10:00 = FINALLY!
  • Mile 5:  10:16 = Relaxing a little more
  • Mile 5-5.59:  5:18 for an ave. pace of 8:56 = Screw it!  I've been trying to end my runs strong so I picked it up the last ¼ mile

I may not have relaxed as much as hoped, but I finally slowed down part way through the race.  I've been grappling with a lot of things lately and the pressure I'm putting on myself seems to be weighing me down more than I thought.  The biggest thing coming up is my next state exam is coming up on 4/10 (the third of three teacher certification exams).  It isn't surprising to me that my fastest mile I was thinking about the test and what I have left to do to get ready for the exam.  Over the next couple weeks I'll probably get into some of the other things I've been going back and forth with.  Nothing major, but still enough to get me all mentally up in arms.  Oh - and a piece of good news:  no IT pain.  Apparently PT is working!

Now, I'm going to relax with my kids, watch the end of the Nascar race (Bristol isn't being nice to my favorite driver Kenseth).  And then maybe talk the family into a short walk around the neighborhood before dinner.

Don't forget to enter my giveaway (here).  Leave a comment or two there to enter.

13 comments:

ajh said...

Good luck on the exam. I can see how thinking about that made you go faster!

Lorian said...

You know you have come a long way when you fail at running slow. So funny! Running does help keep the stress levels lower so just keep running!!

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
See you are getting so good and conditioned that your body wants to keep moving at your normal pace:) Sometimes it is hard to slow down. I am glad to hear that your PT is working! Good luck with your exam!

Ewa said...

I am working hard on slow running and I just cannot do it. By slow I mean slow by my standards. It's been years since I started running and pacing myself is still a great mystery to me.

Anne said...

Yay for no IT pain. I wonder if the day will come when I find it hard to slow down :)
Good luck preparing for your exam...you'll do great I'm sure.

Meg said...

Yippee for PT and no pain! Mine is working too, I love it. Hang in there with your stress. Mostly running helps stress but I know when I put too many goals or too much pressure on my running "performance," it kind of backfires. Take it easy and enjoy your time out there!

JenLo said...

Your story gives me hope that someday I'll run faster than a crawl ;) Right now, I'm just trying to get to 13.1, but as soon as my half marathon is over, I am dying to work on increasing my speed. I would love it if in a year, I am running at your pace!

JenLo said...

Your story gives me hope that someday I'll run faster than a crawl ;) Right now, I'm just trying to get to 13.1, but as soon as my half marathon is over, I am dying to work on increasing my speed. I would love it if in a year, I am running at your pace!

Badgergirl said...

You tried to run slow. That's what counts. Right? Nice job on attempting and good luck with the upcoming exam!

Molly said...

Good luck on your exam, that's great that the PT is working!!

Darlene said...

I'm sure you'll ace your exam!

I am no problem running slow...I want to run fast!

Are you going to the Mar 30 group run?

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Ah, I hate that...so many things weighing you down and your mind is cluttered with things/stresses! Good luck on your exam! And congrats on your speed....amazing improvement!!!!!!

Molly said...

Hey Suzy....you won my God Never Blinks giveaway!! Email me your address when you have a chance!

: )