Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Three Things Thursday, 3.18

1.  Yesterday it was beautiful so I made a spur of the moment decision to go for a run.  Unfortunately, I wasn't in the right mindset.  It was beautiful and I had time; yet I couldn't settle into anything.  I felt like I was running away from something (probably my long to-list at home).  I also got a side-ache at mile 1.5 so I cut my run short and stopped at 2.5 miles because the pain was still there (though not as bad).  I enjoyed being outside, but it wasn't a great run.  Oh well.  This morning was a repeat of yesterday's run only inside and without the side-ache.  The difference is that it is really easy to get off a treadmill and when you are outside running you can't just call it quits.  I know tomorrow's run will be better.

2.  The snow is almost 100% gone in our yard.  I raked the front yard (ADP helped a little when he got home from work) on Wednesday.  I also cleaned off three of the flower beds.  I am checking the beds every day (sometimes twice a day) waiting for the first flowers to come up.  I hope it is soon!  We put in a new garden last year along the whole length of the house.  I can't wait to see what survived, what needs to be moved, and what holes I need to fill.  I have to admit, I love running, but during the spring and fall I'd rather be in the garden moving things around.

3.  I've covered running and gardening so the next logical point needs to be reading (at least it is logical to me).  Here's another from my "The Name's Familiar" book.  

Blurb, Belinda
In 1907, a humorist named Gelett Burgess published a book called Are you a Bromide?  When the book make tsp debut at a booksellers' dinner, it featured a dust jacket with a photograph of a stunning young model named Belinda Blurb.  Underneath her picture was text describing the model's fine appearance.  Booksellers from the dinner soon were referring to any et on a dust jacket as a blurb.  You may not have heard of the book Are You a Bromide? but you have probably heard one of Burgess' other works:

I never saw a purple cow
I never hope to see one
But I can tell you anyhow
I'd rather see one than be one.

He was also the author of a lesser-known sequel poem:

Ah yes, I wrote the "Purple Cow"
I'm sorry now I wrote it
But I can tell ow anyhow
I'll kill you if you quote it!

4 comments:

Molly said...

Ha! Great poem! I saw some crocuses coming up yesterday!

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

I admit the garden and yard call to me too but I usually only listen to them after my run is over since I am already a sweaty mess, so whats a little dirt?

Ewa said...

This is one of the things I really miss about living in four season area: looking for first signs of spring.
I am sure your future outdoor runs will be better and better with every spring day.

ajh said...

We have very little snow left in our yard! Yeah!