Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Month Is Done Already

To help offset my birthday dinner out and my large amounts of cake consumption, I have been running even if I haven’t blogged about it.  First my two cents about eating:  I will eat what I want.  This means that even though I’m trying to loose a few more pounds I will still eat whatever I want because I believe it is more about portion control than what you eat.  (I say this knowing we rarely go out to dinner, we rarely buy prepackaged dinners, and I love to cook and bake using fresh ingredients when possible.) 

My schedule completely got turned around because ADP and I are busy every night this week.  ADP is late a couple days, I’ve got things going a couple days, and Bugs even had an evening commitment.  So, instead of following the training plan I moved everything around and ended up running hills on Sunday, relaxed run on Monday, 6 miles on Tuesday and I took this morning off.

The plan said 5-6 hills at 5K pace which upon further investigation means “when you read "4-5 hills," that means you should do 4-5 repeats at 5K pace on a hill about 150 or 200 yards long.”  I took this to mean run up a hill about .1  mile long at a quick pace.  I have NO idea what my 5K pace is, so I ran the first one and it was about an 8 min mile so I went with it.  Now, this hill is the one that is part of my running route so I usually run it at least once a week – going one direction.  I never run up it 6 times in a row going back and forth like a yo-yo.  Hill 1 (and thus 3 and 5) is about a 5% grade while hill 2 (and thus 4 and 6) is about a 12% grade.  I liked running up the littler hill better!  I did well on all the hills except the last and then I only got down to 8:15 min mile.  I’ll take it to mean I guessed on the pace right because the last hill was hard.
This picture is at the top of the 5% side...so you can only see a little of the 12% grade (and there is no snow these days, but I didn't want to carry a camera the other day)

Monday I took it easy with my 4 miler.  My legs were not tired from my hills the day before, but they weren’t fresh either.  Tuesday I had 6 miles planned.  I decided to do something different with my run.  Outside I have no trouble holding a 9 min mile for a couple miles; inside I can barely break the 10 minute barrier.  So, I figured out what pace I needed to shoot for and I did odd miles at a 9:52 min pace and even miles at 9:01 min pace.  My legs were tired for the last mile but I did my best to finish strong – thanks to the treadmill.

March total:  116.12 miles
2010 year to date:  281.73 miles

7 comments:

saundra said...

I feel the same way about eating/ losing weight.

Great job on the hill workout and on 116 miles for March! That's fantastic. I will need to shift gears to keep up with you!

Happy Birthday, belated.

J said...

Yeah I just thought about that this morning that march is finished for running since I wont be going out tonight to run. Great job on your mileage!

Molly said...

that's a long ass hill!

Nice job with your numbers for March! Mine weren't that high, but better than February so I'm happy!

The Happy Runner said...

Great mileage for March!

Darlene said...

I have a hard time running at a fast pace on the treadmill. I am trying to start slow and increase a little with each mile. I think I'm going to try alternating as you did next time.

Congrats on your March mileage!!!!

Manderz said...

You are a rockstar! I need to do hill work in preperation for the ragnar relay but I dont want to!

There is a hill by my house that is a mile long. I've dreamed (nightmare?) about doing repeats on it.

PS - Thanks for voting for me!!

onelittletrigirl said...

I eat whatever I want too- which of course is part of the problem now that I am injured! But yes, all about portion control!!