Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

Friday Fanfare, 3.12

Welcome to all the new followers!!  I am very excited to see new people here.  Please leave me a comment so I know to stop by your blog and say hi.


I've been busy "reading" Runner's World Complete Book of Running and have come across a few more great pieces to share.  I know there are some guys who read this blog and I apologize to you in advance - these tidbits are mainly for the ladies.  I'm currently reading the chapter on women's running and love these pieces of advice:
We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  On important study of running injuries shows that women are much more likely than men to suffer ankle sprains, shinsplints, stress fractures, and hip problems.  To help you avoid injuries, make cross-training - such as pool running, bicycling, and weight lifting - part of your program.
 Fast running burns more calories, but slow running burns more calories than just about any other activity.  In short, nothing will help you lose weigh and keep it off the way running does.  Besides, it's inexpensive, it's accessible, and, if necessary, it can be done while pushing a stroller.
And, my favorite:
A woman runner should consider herself an athlete, whether she's fast or slow, tall or short, small or large. 
There is a lot of information in the book.  I haven't learned a lot, but it is good to be reminded of what I already know.  This weekend, above all other things remember to have fun.  When the weekend is done don't forget to stop by the following bogs and read their race reports.


Good luck to all the runners and racers this weekend.

  • Heidi is running the Green Shamrock Half Marathon (it's her first half!)
  • Jon is running the Celebrate Life Half-Marathon (do you eat chocolate to celebrate finishing?)
  • Nicki is running the Celebrate Life Half-Marathon (you are so creative, does running help?)
My Friday Fanfare race calendar continues to fill up. Leave a comment if you want to be included and I’ll add you to my calendar. Also, don't forget to stop by the giveaways listed in the sidebar.

8 comments:

momto6 said...

Jon - maybe I will see you in Rock Hill.

Suzy - thanks for the shout out. Nervous as this is my first half also. Have never run another longer than a 5K before - other than training. I do come up with things as I run. You should read the stuff that doesn't make my blog LOL!!

Am also putting this book on my must have list as I need to read more about running.

Good luck to Heidi and Jon!!!

The Happy Runner said...

Love the advice/quotes you pulled out. Reminders are always a good thing!!!

Have a good weekend!

Velma said...

Happy Weekend!

Jill said...

Have a great weekend, thanks for inspiring us!! :)

ajh said...

Sounds like a "good" book. Thanks for sharing the good parts!

Badgergirl said...

I like the advice you passed along!

Lorian said...

Thanks for the tidbits. I have to agree with the calories burning. That's one of the reasons why I stuck with running after starting it 16 years ago. It was the one activity where I saw and felt results quickly!

Heidi said...

Thanks for the shout out. I didn't get onto the blogs much this weekend so didn't see it. It didn't really turn out as I'd hoped, but there's always next time. Thanks again!