Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Decisions, Opinions, and Thoughts

Decisions:  Thank you for all your input on my Jeff Galloway Running School post.  I've put a lot of thought into it and even though I want to go and would learn quite a bit, I'm not willing to pay the money.  We are working hard to live on one income and reduce our debt all while I get my graduate degree.  The fee for the class is steeper than I'm willing to pay.  I've been doing fine running for years and I'm sure I'll keep doing just fine without the class.

Opinions:  (I'm going to state the obvious.)  There is a big difference between running on a treadmill and running outdoors.  I think I'm backwards when it comes to the treadmill vs. outside running.  I keep reading that you can run faster and more consistent on a treadmill.  I'll agree with the consistent part, but not the pace.  I can't make it a mile on the treadmill running my outdoor pace.  I run faster outdoors (don't read into this - I'm by no means fast).

Thoughts:  I like running out doors (duh!), but I always get excited and start too fast and have to slow toward the end of my runs.  Yesterday was no different, but my excuse (a good one) was the amount of ice during the middle section of my run and once I slowed for the ice I kept my pace slower.  So, my thought is that I need to run outside more so that I don't get so excited to be outdoors, which in turn will help me start slower and be able to maintain a constant pace.  Did that make any sense?  Goodness, I hope so.
This week:
Monday: 4 miles (4.17 miles done)
Tuesday:  6 miles a.m., PT p.m.
Wednesday:  rest
Thursday:  6 miles
Friday:  4 miles a.m., PT p.m.
Saturday:  rest
Sunday:  5 miles

15 comments:

Velma said...

Nice work on the runs! I can run faster on the treadmill (not sure why. Have a great week!

Anne said...

Me too! I can't seem to do as well on the treadmill...I'm not sure why. I do enjoy running outdoors though, so not a problem :)

Heidi said...

I run faster outdoors too. I find it hard to get a good stride on the treadmill, and mine has a decently long track. I like being more in control and adjusting my pace as needed.

However, outdoors I typically start off slower and get faster as I go - no matter the distance.

You run pics were nice from yesterday. Looks like a good path to run on for the most part.

Lorian said...

I am with you on running outdoors. I do much better as well. I am dreading the humid summer here in Houston. I will attempting running outdoors as long as feasibly possible.

saundra said...

I run faster outdoors too. Have a great week!

Darlene said...

I defintely find it harder to run at a fast pace on the treadmill. When I speed up the pace I feel like i'm going to fall off. I don't run fast outdoors but it is easier for me and a lot more enjoyable. However, I don't like to bundle up or be cold. So I do do the treadmill.

Kim said...

Loathe the treadmill here. The perks of living in CA are many, and one is being able to run outside nearly any day you want. Thank goodness, because if I lived in NY, I wouldn't be a runner!

Loved the pics on your earlier post. I would get excited running outside where you live, too (as long as it was WARM). So pretty!

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Suzy, I am right there with you on the treadmill v. outside running issue. For me, I feel that my stride changes a bit when I run on the treadmill, thus changing my running ability. Perhaps the same applies to you? Happy running!

Molly said...

sometimes I feel like I'm too comfortable on the treadmill, I get to a good pace and keep it, and just vary the incline. I do run faster outside, but only when a good song comes on in the ipod!

ajh said...

I agree that I run "faster" outdoors too. I so much prefer it! Tonight I ran on the treadmill and took a walk break at one point. I never do that outside. I think I just get bored.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I wonder if my treadmill is set right because my easy pace is faster outside, too, and I don't think it's only the outside distractions that speed me up.

Badgergirl said...

I run faster outside too and like you, I always seem to start out my runs too fast outdoors. It's like I get excited to run and take off too quickly. I'll figure it out. Eventually.

momto6 said...

I run faster on the treadmill. Not sure why. Not running too much during the week this week as Sunday is my first-ever half marathon in Rock Hill, NY. Nervous and excited!!

J said...

I run slower in the treadmill inside than I do outside. I set the pace for like 9 min/mile and some days I feel like i am going to die! Maybe its the mental part that I am actually not moving.

run with Jill said...

I only like to run on the treadmill on days I'm feeling unmotivated. I set the treadmill to my pace then force myself to go without stopping.

I'm excited for Spring so I can be outside all the time

Jill