Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Change of Focus

I decided at the beginning of the year that I would try to finish four long races in 2010.  Well, my definition of long is anything over 9 miles.  March isn’t finished and I already have two of them in the bag (Hangover Half on 1/1, and 3-Person Marathon Relay on 2/21 when I ran the 9.2 mile leg)!  My next long race isn’t until 10/10/10 when ADP and I will be running the Mohawk Hudson River Half Marathon in celebration of our 10th anniversary (anyone see lots of 10’s?).  So, I’ve been thinking about it and I need a change of focus to get me through until I start training for my next half.

The initial problem was figuring out what to change my focus to and then it hit me – race the race.  Races are just an endpoint to me and that is how I treat them.  The race is there to confirm I can run the distance I’ve been training for.  Notice I said run, not race. 

In January, ADP joined me for a one of the Winter Series Races and I didn’t want to keep him waiting so I pushed myself.  The race was 3 miles and I finished in 27:10.  I’ve never pushed myself so my times had almost always been over 30 minutes for 3 miles.  What could I do if I actually tried to run fast and not just finish the miles? 

My focus has changed.  I’m planning on seeing what I can do with the 5k distance.  How low can I go?  What do I need to do to get there?  What races do I want to enter (I’m cheap, so they’ll be cheapest races I can find)?  I have until mid-July when I’ll start getting ready for my next half.  All I can say about it is that I’m excited and re-energized to run more…and hopefully faster.

This week:
Monday:  4 miles (oops, slept in)
Tuesday:  5 mile fartlek
Wednesday:  rest day
Thursday:  6 miles a.m., PT in p.m.
Friday:  4 miles
Saturday/Sunday:  5 miles one day/rest one day

9 comments:

Manderz said...

Good for you! I'm excited to see how fast you can go!

Darlene said...

Great news - maybe I'll see you at some races, then! Keep me posted on what to do to get faster!

Molly said...

that sounds like a good plan! I'd love to get under a ten minute mile!

Staci Dombroski said...

Looking good!!

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Yay! I am excited that you are excited and re-energized!!! Good luck!!!!!

ajh said...

LOVE all those tens! What fun. And you have a great new goal.

MCM Mama said...

Sounds like an awesome plan.

For me, it's not a race unless I finish feeling like I'm going to puke LOL.

Jenn said...

Sounds like a plan! The 10-10-10 races really intrigue me!! There is quite the feeling of satisfaction when you really push yourself! I bet you have a lot in you and can't wait to hear how it goes!

onelittletrigirl said...

My friend just decided she is going to focus on 5k's too!

And yes, there is a huge difference between running and racing!