Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Winter Wimp Award + Race Recap

I made it to the Winter Series Race #5 this morning and chose to run the 4 miler. When I got there I found out the advertised 4 miler was actually 4.34 miles – no biggie, but still! 17F with 12 mph winds = a cold run. I don’t run outside when it is below 20, so this was a new experience for me.

I did a 1 mile warm-up. Thank goodness I did because by .25 miles I realized I needed some more warmth. I ran to the car and grabbed my extra mittens (I wore my lululemon gloves under my mittens) and a bandana to cover my chin and neck. When my mile was done I still wasn’t warm but my muscles were warm enough to stretch.

4.34 miles in 41:35 for an average pace of 9:35/mi.  I’m happy with my time. It was cold and I had no great desire to go fast today. My laps were even enough (9:53, 9:23, 9:51, and 9:40) because mile 2 is almost all downhill. The first two miles were away from the wind and I got hot. The remainder was into the wind! One of my new goals is to finish my races strong and I did…0.34 mi at a 7:59 pace! I like it.

I finished with a .65 mi cool down for a grand total of 6.0 miles for today.

Part of the reason I was determined to go to the race today is because the series is five races long. If you participate in all five and volunteer in at least one you get a Winter Wimp Award. Check It Out:

I have myself a new pen holder that seems to do everything and then some.  HMRRC is the running club that I belong to and because I belong I was able to race all five races for FREE!!  Everyone else had to pay $5/race, so it was a great savings.

19 comments:

HEATHER @ runfastermommy! said...

congrats on finishing the series! And even $5 a race is so cheap, I wish we had a series like that here!

Teamarcia said...

Well done! Nice award! I too wish we had something, anything here!

Julie said...

Good job on your race!! Way to finish strong!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Congrats! Sounds like a great race situation!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Oh wait, the cold sounds bad, but the free races sound great!

saundra said...

Nice job. Congrats!

ajh said...

Nice job! It was cold this weekend, good for you for following through. I think free races are great and I am very motivated by the old "Complete them all to get whatever!" Way to go.

Ewa said...

Congratulations, seems you had a great race despite the temps.
Nice award too.

Anne said...

Congrats on a great race! Cool award :)

momto6 said...

Congrats on running yesterday! I did the Chilly Chili and it was cold!!!!

J said...

Brr sounds cold!! Great job on running though! I didnt get outside to run at all this weekend. It has just been Too windy!

Molly said...

great award : )

I feel you with those cold temps this weekend, but nice job getting a whole six in yesterday.

SideofSneakers.com said...

Congrats on a great race!!

Staci Dombroski said...

Way to go!!!

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

Nice jog getting out there is the cold! Congrats on doing them all.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Hmm... Treating myself? Bought some running shoes I didn't need quite yet, but they were on sale and I had a coupon.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Heidi said...

Brrr, that's cold. Good for you getting out there and getting it done. Sounds like a pretty cool series. Nice that they give some recognition for participation like that.

The Happy Runner said...

Great job! Love the clock!

Badgergirl said...

Nice job on the run and I love the award!