Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Skipped a Step

I have been attending an educational series hosted at our local Fleet Feet (sponsored by Mizuno).  I have taken some great ideas away from the series already and it isn't finished.  Tonight is all about "preventing" upper leg injuries.  I say "preventing" because last week it was "preventing" lower leg injuries and the PT talked about what to do if you hurt your ankle/foot and went over some of the more common running injuries; I don't think what he talked about is prevention.  The PT said he would cover common ITB, hip, and knee problems; I'm all over that given that my ITB still randomly hurts.

One duh moment I had was during a stretching class and the PT talked about professional athletes.  I'm not a professional; I am an amateur runner who happens to love it.  Regardless, the PT said that professional athletes always ice after exercising whether they are hurting or not.  So, I have started taking 10 minutes after I run to ice my ITB where it connects near my knee (where it always used to hurt).  The few hours after running are no longer spent avoiding going up and down stairs because there is no discomfort or pain near my knee and in my ITB.  Today, I was running behind and I skipped icing.  MISTAKE.  I haven't been avoiding stairs, but I can't say I'm comfortable.  From now on I'm making sure I have the time to ice and if I don't have time, I'll make it.

Today:  5.46 treadmill run

16 comments:

ajh said...

Thanks for sharing the info!

Molly said...

I ice after ever single run. Sad to say I have to do three spots, my left hamstring, left arch, and right ankle. It's worth it though to keep the injuries from coming back, plus I stretch like a madwoman.

Julie said...

Hi Suzy,
I have been told by many to ice after runs too. I do if I have time...sometimes with my crazy life it sort of gets put on the back burner. Do I ice my hip or get dinner on the table:) It needs to start being a priority:) Thanks for the great info!

Staci Dombroski said...

Thanks for sharing that info. I had never thought to ice after a workout no matter what! I think I might start trying that :-)

candlerun (htabby) said...

oh yes... the nice freeze even if you are running in a freeze... lol I try my best to ice when I can. Lately it is a good couple times a day but I HAVE to (injured) lol

Darlene said...

I wanted to go the Fleet Feet classes but I play tennis on Tues & Wed. I started my running there in April 08 as part of the No Boundaries program.

Thanks for the ice reminder. When my knee was hurting last year, I did ice it faithfully after any exercise and now that I'm not in any pain I don't.

Stephanie Nichole said...

Hi There!
I was looking throught the Tall Mom Run club and saw you're from Clifton Park, NY. I'm originally from East Greenbush and now live in Cincinnati.

Would you happen to be running the HMRR Winter marathon or the relay?? If you are let me know!!! I'm hopefully having a bunch of people there for my "halfway there Marathon"-- my 25th state!

Happy Running!
Stephanie

Badgergirl said...

I've never thought to ice after every run. After long ones I do, but not every run.

Thanks for the info!

Meg said...

I had your exact problem and I'm seeing a great PT for it and it's getting better. I'm doing a lot of strength training for it and I'm still running!

Bonnie said...

thanks for the tip . . . I have never had any problems and I have been running for over 15 years but a couple weeks ago my knee started hurting :( I will attempt to ice! Love the blog

momto6 said...

That is a tip that I had never thought of before. I have iced after injury but not preventatively. I am going to start!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

After running in the cold, icing isn't easy, but I don't mind it too much on warm days. Good info!

onelittletrigirl said...

It works- I have been icing after every run since I got done with PT in Feb 09. I still get sore but it totally does help!

J said...

In college after track practice I used to go in the cold/ice tub every day. It really helped alot!

NY Wolve said...

I am never that organized to consistently ice anything. I know it helpful, and I know I should. My PT explained that it reduces intramuscular swelling produced by the microscopic tears in the muscle that result from training. Makes sense, and something I should do.

Heidi said...

Hmmm, that's good to know. I'm currently seeing a massage therapist for an issue and he's having me ice after every run, but maybe I should consider keeping that up long term. Definitely worth a try!