Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

2 Days then PT

Thank you for all your kind words after the 3-Person Marathon Relay.  Your words really helped me and I appreciate your comments more than I can properly put to words. 

I woke up this morning with tight muscles (but not sore) and my stomach is finally feeling better.  It has been two days since the marathon relay and as hoped, the snow held off for the relay!  Today, it is snowing and I couldn't be happier.  My legs were tight so I did a slow four miles on the treadmill this morning.  I'm not good with rest, that is for sure.  Well...that or I'm avoiding studying for my next state exam (it isn't until April). 

There were a few reasons I wanted to run this morning.
  1. I'm not good at taking time off.
  2. I didn't stretch after the relay, so my muscles were tighter than usual yesterday and this morning.
  3. I needed to get moving to see if my stomach could handle it.
  4. And, I go to physical therapy tonight and the last thing I wanted was for my legs to be extremely tight.
Yes, I'm going to PT.  When I was running in November I ran over the edge of the road wrong and my IT-band instantly started hurting.  I took some time off (see point 1...this was very hard for me).  I rested and I iced.  I was probably a pain in the rear to live with.  All was going well and I was feeling better so I started running again.  The thing is that my ITB intermittently hurt (sometimes after 2 miles, sometimes I could finish 10 miles without pain).  I started paying attention to when it hurt and now that my long races are done for a while I'm going to PT in hopes that I can run pain free for a lot longer.  So tonight I go to PT when ADP gets home for work.  I don't know what to expect, but I hope it is what I need to help get rid of the pain forever.

This Week's Plan:
Monday:  rest (done)
Tuesday:  4 miles easy (done)
Wednesday:  rest
Thursday:  5 miles*
Friday:  rest
Saturday:  6 miles*
Sunday:  rest

*Dependent on what the PT says.

Don't forget to check out the giveaways on the sidebar and this Running Essentials giveaway.

12 comments:

J said...

Good idea to go to the PT. I have intermitten IT band pain too and the foam roller is my best friend. I have also noticed that lifting has helped as well. The treadmill really just makes my IT hurt though so I try to avoid it but its hard with the snow.

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

IT bands issues can be so tricky. I really hope that the PT works! Good luck! :)

Staci Dombroski said...

Looks like you have a great plan. I hope that you get better quickly with the PT :-)

Molly said...

I read your race report, sorry to hear about your stomach issues!! and it totally drives me nuts when I have unmotivating songs on the ipod too!

good luck with your PT, hope everything is back on track soon!

Velma said...

I am glad you are feeling better. I go to the PT tonight as well. I think it does help - although it can be a bit painful in the short term

shellyrm aka jogging stroller mama said...

I hope the PT helps and you won't need too much rest.

Meg said...

I love our PT, he's helped me so much with my hip flexors and IT band issues. I hope your session goes well!

ajh said...

I hope the PT works. I was thinking about making an appt. with the chiro but since my race I feel much better. Odd but true. Good luck.

KK @ Running Through Life said...

ITB injuries are awful. Good for you for going to PT. Hopefully they can help you quickly so you are back to new!!!

The Happy Runner said...

Hope PT went well!
Glad you are feeling better :-)

Badgergirl said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better! Hope PT went well!

prashant said...

. I really hope that the PT works! Good luck!

Work From Home