Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Soaked Through


During the night it snowed so one of the first things on the agenda today was to shovel.  By the time we got outside it was 40F and sunny!  As you can imagine, the snow was perfect for making a snowman.  We made two but only Punky wanted her picture with me.  Later in the afternoon when I went out for a run the snowmen were melting in the warm 44F.  They were fun to make even if they melted right away.




We also had some errands to run this morning so I took the "long" route to Target to see what the running path looked like.  It had been plowed which solidified my decision to run 5 miles today.  Let me take you through my run.

First, Bugs took my picture.  Note my awesome Pearl Izumi therma fleece arm warmers, another great Christmas gift from ADP.  The jacket (also Pearl Izumi) was from the kids for Christmas.  Then I headed out.


0-1.4 mile mark:  Running through the subdivision.  I ran in the middle of the road to avoid huge, deep puddles. (mile 1:  9:22)
1.4-2 mile mark:  Run on Main Street.  Once upon a day this road was busy, but now it isn't.  Thankfully the road has been kept up and the shoulder is a good 6' on both sides of the road and nice an tapered. (mile 2:  9:15)
2-3.2 mile mark:  FUN!  This part of my run has a wonderful walking/running path (except for the pesky .2 mile without a path).  The problem, the path hadn't been plowed.  The path, however, is close enough to the road that when the road was plowed the path gets covered with slush, dirt, salt, and water.  Running on the shoulder isn't an option because it is maybe 6" with cars speeding by at 45 mph, so I ran on the path.  It only took .25 mile for my shoes to be soaked through.  I was basically puddle jumping (like a little kid) for 1.2 miles.  You should have seen the huge smile on my face.  (mile 3:  9.27)
3.2-4 mile mark:  I usually don't turn here, but I didn't think I'd have the energy to keep high stepping/puddle jumping for another mile so I turned into a neighboring subdivision and ran on wet, but puddle free roads.  (mile 4:  9:20)
4-5.01 mile:  The hill.  Really, I wish I could find a nice 4+ mile run near my house without this hill, but it just isn't happening.  4.1 miles= elevation 240 ft.  4.2 miles= elevation 314 ft.  Normally I have enough energy to make it up the hill, but my fun mile earlier left my legs a tired.  I slowed and made it up the hill.  The bonus, at the top of the hill is the entrance to the subdivision I live in so home is close!  (mile 5:  9:52)

I made it home before nap-time was over (ADP was home, but I still like to make it home so I can spend time with the kiddos).  5.01 miles, 47:21 min, 9:27/mi ave, and so much fun.  My socks will never be the same.


16 comments:

Meg said...

I love that snowman, a real snowman! Your wet run sounded like fun!

JenLo said...

I had the same problem on Saturday--it was so slushy in parts that I could not seem to avoid all the water--my feet were soaked!

ESH said...

Glad you had fun with it! Whenever my shoes get soaked through I curse at the puddles and car and mud and goop that got them wet.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Maybe you'lll work up to a point that going up the hill won't feel so hard. That would be great for times when you need to race up the hills.

Great snowman!

Molly said...

ugh, wet shoes!!! Love your snowman, my kids each got a snowman kit from Santa, with all the accesories for one, we have yet to use it!

ajh said...

Oh your poor poor socks! Love the snowman but what a run! I hate puddle jumping and it never works out. Your shoes get soaked eventually so I don't know why I even try!

The Happy Runner said...

Nice run! I have those same socks :-)

Katie said...

Awesome run! You are a trooper for running with wet shoes/socks- I hate that!

Jon said...

Nice run! Glad the blisters stayed away.

Badgergirl said...

I like the snowman! And the run sounds like it was fun, even if it did cause your socks and shoes to take a beating!

Lorian said...

Wow! It sounds like you had a great day with the socks to prove it!!

Jill said...

Love the badge of honor socks there!! Very cute snowman with you guys, how cute!!

onelittletrigirl said...

I haven't made a snowman in forever- it does sound like fun!

momto6 said...

I ran on a local trail last night as I couldn't get my run in earlier between #6 having a 6 hour play rehearsal and #5 having a college swim/dive meet in Oneonta. The trail was wet but not icy despite the temps dropping as I ran. Only did four miles but you run much faster than I do. On top of that, I am not good on flats and the trail is flat.

Great run and even my socks were a bit wet last night.

Julie said...

Cute pictures and I love the arm warmers:)

Velma said...

Love all the cool gear!