Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

So Much Fun

I volunteered this morning at our runners club race and I loved it!  If you have never volunteered at a race, you definitely need to.  I was at the registration table, so I saw people debating whether they were going to run the 3 miler, 10K or 25K.  When the racers came in from the races it was fun watching and listening to them; you could feel the excitement in the crowd. 

Granted, this race series is low key with no chips or bibs.  When the runners cross the finish line they get handed a 3x5 index card and have to remember their time until they get inside (where it's warm) where they fill out the card with their information and time.  Some of the runners in the 10K and 25K had really cold hands so we had to help them fill out their cards.  We loved helping them and I know the runners were appreciative of the help. 

The top male and female runners in each race got a pie.  The top two in each age group received a loaf of bread (not just any loaf, this bread is DELICIOUS!).  To make volunteering even sweeter, they even gave bread to the volunteers.  So, I'll be enjoying some wonderful bread tonight while I watch the Packer game with my family.

*The whole team for the 3-person marathon relay was there today so the paperwork is signed and will be in the mail tomorrow!  It's official, we're as good as registered

**Congrats to Felice, at The Happy Runner, who recieved a loaf of bread for placing in the top two in her age group for the 10K!!!

13 comments:

Katie said...

Hi Suzy! It's great that there are so many upstate running bloggers! The race series sounds like it was fun, albeit super cold! The three person relay deal is so cool! You guys will rock it.

Molly said...

Thanks for checking out my blog, so happy Felice made that upstate blog list!

I'm already behind on my 1,000 miles, gotta get back on track this week!

ajh said...

I volunteer at a very low key race most years. I do a variety of things including using the stopwatch at the finish so people are VERY glad to see me. It is fun.

Thanks for commenting on my blog again. Another upstate New York race is the Polar Cap 4 miler in Lake George. It's always well attended and they hold it no matter what. They do 5 year age group awards which is nice. It's not available on line for registration yet though.

The Happy Runner said...

Yay! It was good seeing you again. Thanks for volunteering! You all deserved the bread, that's for sure :-)

onelittletrigirl said...

I volunteer all throughout TRI season and I love it. Here the perk is free races, so I do save a lot of money, but honestly I would do it no matter what because I love it that much!

biz319 said...

I've never volunteered at a race before - I should though - sounds like a great time! :D

Kelly said...

thanks for stopping by trimommylife!! I love volunteering at races. it really helps you see the race from a different perspective!!

RunToTheFinish said...

I am going to spectate for the first time later this month and I'm really excited. I plan to volunteer with my running group this year too. I mean I should give back!

Christina said...

Thanks for volunteering for a race. Its people like you that make races possible. I've only done it twice and should do it more.

Julie said...

Lets give it for the volunteers!!! God bless them:) It sounds like alot of fun!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Pie and a great loaf of bread? Those are my kind of race winnings!

Staci Dombroski said...

What a great thing to volunteer at the race!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Thanks for the reminder. I am planning to volunteer at a race this year..