Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Running and Curbs, RR

I did not post any goals for yesterday’s race because it was so simple I didn’t think I needed to announce it. 1/1/10 Goal: Start the year running! That is it, no more, no less. Then I thought about it and why just start the year running, why not run a race? Thankfully the running club I am in had two races on Jan 1, 3.5 miler and the Hangover Half. Earlier in the week I really thought I’d be running the 3.5 miler – first my ITB was really tight and bothering me and then it sounded like we were going to get feet of snow dumped on us before, during and after the race. The morning of the race we only had a dusting of snow (from the day before), cloudy skies, 35F, and my ITB was feeling good so I went for it.

The race started at noon. Noon is not a good time to start a race because I’m extremely hungry for lunch. I even ate breakfast late and I was still hungry. Manderz was running the 3.5 mile race so we were together for the first 3.25 miles. Once again, it was great having someone to run with! I was really happy at the two mile mark when she held some clothing for me so I could take a layer off. I’d never stripped clothing off while running so it was a new experience. But, since I over dressed I needed to take my fleece off. We averaged 9:43 min/mile while we were together.

When we parted ways I turned my music on and settled in to finish the next ~10 miles. My new goal was to finish without hurting myself. In order to do this I stopped and did a quick stretch at 6, 8 and 10 miles and walked for .1 mile each time. It felt good to stretch the hams. I averaged 10:03 min/mile over the middle miles.  Unfortunately, even with my stretching I felt my ITB getting tight about the 10 mile mark. I knew I needed to slow down to prevent hurting myself, so I slowed down and ran the rest at a comfortable and challengingly slow 10:43 min/mile.  With 0.1 mile I picked it up because I wanted to finish strong. I took what I had and ran…equivalent to a 8:09 min/mile.

All my stretching paid off. I’m sore today, but I’m walking and not in the same kind of pain as I was in last week. I’m happy with my results, 2:14:54 (only 6 seconds longer than my first half-marathon…you know, the one when it was warm and sunny out).

The results are up on-line and I’ve heard that “hardcore” runners do the winter series. I’m doing them because they are free, will get me outside, I like seeing other people, and did I mention they are FREE. It is obvious that there are good runners doing these races. Me = #215 out of 233. The first ~100 people ran less than a 8 min/mile, the next hundred were between 8 and 10 min/mile. The rest of us…well, we were slower but we FINISHED!!

I left the race not long after finishing. I was hungry, needed a shower, and really wanted to spend some time with my family. On the way home I took a corner too wide, hit a curb and blew the front passenger tire on the car. Bummer! The icing on the cake: my cell phone was dead. Total Bummer!! I knocked on a random person’s front door and they let me call ADP who in turn called AAA for me. Today, we have one car because the tire place doesn’t have time until Monday to put new tires on. So, while I’m excited to be done with my race, until we get the car back the tire is putting a damper on my spirits.

PS. They were taking pictures during the race yesterday, I just hope they are posted soon!

12 comments:

ESH said...

Congrats on the race! I agree that noon is an atrocious race time. I also detest 11am. If it conflicts with lunchtime I just can't handle fueling adequately for it.

Jill said...

Yea for finishing what sounds like a very fun race!! So nice you got the opportunity to run with a friend for part of it, too! Happy New Year!!

Julie said...

Suzy,
Great job on your half marathon!! I am sorry to hear about your car. Keep smiling!

One Little Jill said...

Sorry to hear about the car, that is totally a bummer! BUT...you started off the year by rocking a race, so that some very good non-bummer news!!

Staci Dombroski said...

Sorry to hear about the car!! It sounds like you are definitely doing a great start to a new year :-) Have a great weekend!

Manderz said...

Great job Suzy!!! You PR'd without trying in crappy conditions! It was great running with you - look forward to the next race!

Velma said...

Nice work on the run - I hope the car gets fixed!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Sorry about your car! I wish we had some free races here, too. Great job with the half marathon! Congrats!

sam said...

NOON?! That is an awful time for a race. I couldn't agree more.

Suzy I am green with envy because of your pace. My goal is to get to about a 10-11 minute mile. Richt now I am still at 12-13.

You rocked it! That's smart to stretch during, and even though you stopped for quick stretches your time is still awesome! Way to go!

BUMMER about the car. I am wishing your car a speedy recovery!

ps

Happy New Year!

Badgergirl said...

Sorry to hear about the car. But nice job on the half marathon! And free races? Can't argue with that!

The Happy Runner said...

Yikes! Sorry about the car but, hey, GREAT job in the half! Super way to start the year. So glad your ITB cooperated and you were able to do the long race.

Happy new year!

Teamarcia said...

Phenomenal time on your first half!!! You are seriously awesome! How nice you have a winter race series in your neck of the woods.
Sorry about the tire, I did that exact thing last summer.