Pages

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Running vs. Packers

Ice, snow and rain all made it easy to make the decision to push my Saturday run to Sunday. Since I didn’t get out Saturday for a longer run, I did a quick three miles first thing Saturday morning. The problem today (Sunday) was that the only time I had today to run (and stay somewhat dry) was at the same time as the Packer game. This equates to a SERIOUS CONFLICT OF INTERESTS! Wow, what a decision. The good and bad thing is that I live no where near the Packers, the chances of the game being on the TV was very slim. Even so, I still “watch” the game on NFL.com.

Well, running won out and I went out for an eight mile run. Friends and family were great to me this Christmas and I got a lot of running gear this year. This afternoon it was a balmy 45F so I wore my new running pants and new running vest (pants and vest match, the shirt...not so much!).  I felt like a shiny new runner. The picture shows the shiny (reflective) me after finishing my run.



Four miles into my run I stopped to stretch out my hams. Well, the pretense was stretching my legs. The real reason to stop was to call ADP and find out the score of the Seahawk vs. Packer game and the Panther vs. Giants game (GBP win + NYG loss = WILD CARD!!!!). Good news, the Packers were up and the Giants down. With happiness on my heart I set off on my run again.  [In case you are on the edge of your seat, GBP won and NYG lost so the Packers are in the playoffs!!  This Packer fan couldn't be happier.]

Unfortunately, the happiness disappeared at mile 6.48 when my knee just about gave way. I’m no longer sure if it is my ITB that has been bothering me, perhaps it has been my knee. I’m also questioning whether I’ll run the half marathon I have planned on Friday. I am leaving my options open. Yes, I really want to start the year with a half-marathon. No, I don’t want to hurt myself further so I’ll see how the week goes before I decide…and I may not decide until the morning of the race.

Today:  8.17 miles
Miles 0 to 6.4 = ave 9:34 mile
Miles 6.4 to 8.17 = ave 10:50 mile

Don’t forget to enter my Hammer Nutrition giveaway (see the next post)!

8 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm sorry Suzy but I am going to have to stop reading your blog! Boo to the Packers-Go Vikes!!! Listen to your body and hope you are good to go Friday!

Tina at Gotta Run Now said...

Sorry about your knee. I know that it's hard to consider missing races we've been training for. Hope the pain goes away soon!

Badgergirl said...

I understand how hard it is missing a Packer game. I spent the game at a bridal shower today. And there was no TV! What gives?

Hope the knee feels better soon!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

OH no!! I hope you figure it out. The ONLY time my knee has ever given out was after I tore my ACL and meniscus..

Teamarcia said...

EEK! Take care of that knee!
And what is this 'football' you speak of? We haven't had a decent team in these parts for many moons so I wouldn't know.

ESH said...

Oh man, I went through this dilemma all season long (although I'm a Giants fan, not a Packers...yesterday was a dark day in Big Blue history). I often carried my blackberry so I could check the scores all run long! I even ran into sports bars on a few occasions for a score check...

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Bummer about the knee. I can't remember how you described the pain before, but when I hurt my ITB, it was sharp pain that was on side of knee itself. Have you tried the cho-pat strap? Helped me immensely in recovery.

Feel better!

Velma said...

YEA PACKERS!!!!!!! Nice new duds, and I am hoping for good weather on Friday.