Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Nice and Cozy RR

One of the local road running clubs has a winter race series and the first was today. It was nice and cozy – relaxed (no timing chips or directions to do this or that), a small group (maybe 150-200), a warm building to wait in, and someone to run with. Good thing there was a warming building too because when the race started at 10 it was a cool 26F with light winds from the SW. I don’t have running clothes suitable for this kind of weather so I dressed myself the best I could:

 

 

Nike Therma-Fit Headband, Sunglasses, L.L. Bean vest, fleece, base layer compression top, ADP's circa 1993 running pants topped with my circa 1998 exercise shorts to keep my bum warm

 
Before the race Manderz and I found each other and chatted it up. I also got to meet her darling daughter (they had crafts for kids to do). We both ran the Marine Corps Half-Marathon, but this was the first time we actually met. We stayed together through the race and let me tell you, it was fun to have someone to run with! I feel like I was a chatterbox through lots of the race (sorry if I was).

 
Here are the splits:
  • Mile 1: 9:27
  • Mile 2: 9:41
  • Mile 3: 9:50
  • .05 mile: 0:15 (5:28?)
  • Clock time:  29:21
  • Watch time:  29:15
It was supposed to be a 3 mile race, but my Garmin came in at 3:05…so close to a 5K and yet so far. Either way, I’ll take it!

5 comments:

Manderz said...

I had a great time running with you!! You definitely were not too chatty - it really helped me to get through the race! Thanks for posting the splits. Hopefully we can run a couple of the other races in the series together.

Tina at Gotta Run Now said...

Sounds like fun, except for the cold part! Great job!

JenLo said...

Excellent!! I just did my first treadmill run (5 mi) on Friday and thought I would absolutely die. I am going to run outside unless it is an absolute threat of frostbite. I think the monotony along with the different mechanics made it just way too hard for me. I've been aching ever since! I've picked up some really reasonable Champion brand winter gear at Target and it has worked great.

Velma said...

Love the outfit. Way to get out there in the cold

Teamarcia said...

Sounds like a fun race! And how fun you had someone to run with! Congrats!