Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2009

7 + 5 = 12

I am fairly certain the majority of athletes can do basic math.  Number of laps, miles run, and rotations per minute, reps, sets, and more are part of our vocabulary.  I’m sure I did the math correct, 7 + 5 = 12 and yet it doesn’t always equal 12.

My plan was to run 12 miles this weekend.  Since there is a chance the Packers (GO PACK!!) will be on TV (vs. the Steelers) tomorrow, my running needed to get done on Saturday.  The sun comes up late and goes down early and we had things going on in the middle of the day, so I came to the conclusion that I needed to split my 12 miles up. 

This morning I got up and ran seven miles on the treadmill.  My computer has been having issues (it’s still working…I’m not sure if it is a blessing or not) so my run seemed to take longer than it should have because there was little to watch for long periods of time.  With seven miles done we got ready for the day, did all I needed to get done early on and we had some family time (a.k.a. soccer).  When Punky went down for nap I headed out on a run to finish my 12.  I ran 5.04 miles at an average pace of 10:03 /mile.  There was quite a bit of traffic, so I did stop five times before I could cross streets.  BTW, it was 22F with a light breeze and cloudy out when I was running.  (And, I’m still trying to warm up as I type this.)

While physically I ran 12 miles, mentally I ran two different runs.  I don’t know if this is going to help or hurt me in ~14 days when I run my next half marathon.  I don’t have any more long runs between now and then, so I’ll have to hope it is going to help me. 

Week:

  • 1 core class
  • 1 yoga/pilates/tai chi class
  • 18 miles

2 comments:

Tina at Gotta Run Now said...

Brr... Running in 22* sounds slightly painful!

In a blog comment you said that you don't run far enough for energy gels. I forgot that you're running a half. I take them for halves sometimes. But I'm not trying to talk you into doing anything new at the race!

JenLo said...

I am having a very tough time switching back and forth from the road to the treadmill. I've run on the treadmill twice and it has about killed me! I am very stiff afterward, my pace much, much slower than I am outside and it is hard for me to get through even a few miles. Do you have any trouble going back and forth or do I just need to give myself time to get used to running on a treadmill