Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Winter Plans

I am not one to shy away from cold weather, but the idea of running in the cold scares me a little. I don’t know how many weekends I’ll be running outside this winter so I had a plan for this winter: work on the treadmill and get faster. I don’t know if this is going to happen, I have to wait and see if my toe is up to it. Any suggestions on how to get faster? Obviously speed work…but anything more specific? I know I can be faster and my legs want to go faster.

Since I don’t know if I’ll be working on my speed (or lack thereof), I need another plan. I may be a Weight Watchers Lifetime member, but I definitely don’t have the trim runner’s body people that you see in magazines or in races. I finally have the confidence to wear what I want, so perhaps it is time to whip my body into better shape so I can wear anything.

I’ll come up with more winter plans as time goes by (I'm debating a Hangover Half if the news from the doc is good on 11/11 and the weather is good on 1/1). Winter can last a long time here so one plan will not make it through the cold winter months (if it is a normal winter). Running aside, I can’t wait for snow so I can get my snowshoes out!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Are you doing any weight training? Maybe alternate your cardio days with a circuit weight routine? Stronger legs and a stronger core = more efficient running = more speed.

Plus, the weights will give you a leaner form.

Can you get a trainer for one of your gym sessions? They're not too expensive, and in one session can give you a routine that will make you sweat and fit your needs.

Let me know if you want more info about it.

Jenn said...

I hate the treadmill but doing speedwork on it isn't too bad. I actually love doing 800 repeats on it. They are easy to do. I usually warm up and then run hard .5 miles and recover .25 miles at a much slower pace/repeat. I now do 10 repeats but I started with 4 and I really think it helped me get faster! Hopefully your toe cooperates!!