Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Whipping Wind

Last night I was a little on edge with the family so I went to bed and curled up with a feel good book and read until I was ready to fall asleep.  I could still feel the aggravation in my shoulders this morning when I woke up this morning so I knew I needed to go on a run.  Not only would  a run help me figure out why I was on edge, but it would also help me work out any extra tension in my shoulders.

What I didn't count on was the weather.  This is my first "winter" running outside.  It isn't winter yet, but it should be a lot colder than it is.  When I set out at 10am it was a sunny 44F outside.  The challenge was the wind, it was whipping around.  Since moving to NY we have missed the constant air movement that we had in Iowa.  So, for it to be windy was a pleasant surprise because I love the air movement.  It wasn't so pleasant when I was running into the 45 mph gusts.  I don't know if it was my imagination or if it really happened this way - but why was the wind always gusting when I was trying to go up hills? 

The wind (sustained ~25 mph) made me rethink my running route.  I primarily stayed in the subdivision so I wouldn't be on any long straightaways.  There were times I was dressed properly and the times when the wind was blocked by trees I thought I was going to roast.  Over all, I was warm but I am fine with it because it kept the wind from going right through me.

Today:  7.12 miles in 1:09:17 (9:44 ave pace)

Week totals:
18.51 miles outdoors + 1 treadmill mile!  9:37 ave pace
1 weight training session

3 comments:

Tina at Gotta Run Now said...

When the wind pushes hard, I shorten my strides - maybe it helps a little. Cold wind is tough to run in!

Jill said...

Each season always bring a new set of challenges of what to wear. I tend to over-dress all the time at the change and never learn.

I was born and raised in Iowa. Where did you live?? :)

RunToTheFinish said...

ahh the first winter outside, besides the wind you start to get used to it and really love it. I think the wind is just one of those things we learn to push through and sometimes the runs we push through help relieve all that stress!