Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thoughts on 2010

I’ve been putting a lot of thought into my 2010 running goals. I am very goal oriented, but I generally don’t do yearly goals so I am not sure how to go about this. There are two parts to my problem:  the time frame combined with the word goal.  One year is such a short amount of time to complete a goal, at least the goals I am used to setting. According to Webster:
 
goal
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English gol boundary, limit
Date: 1531
1 a : the terminal point of a race b : an area to be reached safely in children's games
2 : the end toward which effort is directed : AIM
3 a : an area or object toward which players in various games attempt to advance a ball or puck and usually through or into which it must go to score points b : the act or action of causing a ball or puck to go through or into such a goal c : the score resulting from such an act

 
I think what I have is a strong aspiration to do some running next year. I don't think it is splitting hairs to use the word aspire; I just don’t wan to use the word goal because I feel like a failure when I don’t reach my goals. And, according to Webster:

 
as•pire
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): as•pired; as•pir•ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French or Latin; Middle French aspirer, from Latin aspirare, literally, to breathe upon, from ad- + spirare to breathe
Date: 14th century
1 : to seek to attain or accomplish a particular goal <aspired to a career in medicine>

 
Here I go. I have an aspiration to run four longer races in 2010. Possible races include:
  • 1/1, Hangover Half Marathon
  • 6/5, Freihofer’s Run for Women 5K
  • Sept, Lake Placid Fall Half
  • 10/10, Marine Corps Half Marathon
  • 11/14, Stockade-athon 15K
  • Plus, hopefully another half or full marathon to round out the year

6 comments:

Badgergirl said...

Aspirations. I like it!

Jill said...

I like aspirations also and yours are excellent!

Tina at Gotta Run Now said...

Hope you get the chance to do those races! Fun!

Bonnie said...

Hi Suzy . . . Thanks for the teammate encouragement :) I am loving this! Good luck this week with keeping up on your goals
Bonnie

Tim F. said...

I like the use of aspire. Good look meeting your aspirations in 2010.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Love it!! I am a GOALS person to...but Aspire, I love that too.

Hey I want to run a race on 1/1, that would be COLD and FUN!