Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Selling Myself Short

I heard having a Garmin might change my training. Well, apparently I have been selling myself short (at least to myself). A year ago I had a hard time running a 12:00/mile. Through training for my October half-marathon my times naturally got faster and I was happy when I was running 10:30/mile. Well, on my outdoor runs (all two of them since getting my Garmin) all my times have been under 10:00/mile. My best, and most relaxed, mile came during a 5 mile run at 9:10/mile. WOW, big difference. Here I thought I was running almost 90 seconds/mile slower. There is no reason why I can’t break 30 minutes when I run a 5K race again.

6 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

That is AWESOME! I would be lost without my Garmin I love to plug in and see what I have accomplished. Sub 30 minutes here you come!!

Hugs!

JenLo said...

That is awesome! On the downside, I started training with a Garmin from the beginning and it's frustrating to see how slow I am. I'm working on building in some distance so I can't worry about speed, but I'm thrilled if I can maintain 10:30 for 3 miles. It's usually slower than that, and sometimes I think it would be better not to know...but I HAVE to know ;0

The Happy Runner said...

Way to go!
It's great when you find that perfect pace.

Jill said...

A pace 90 seconds faster ya thought would be better than any Christmas present!!

Tina at Gotta Run Now said...

How fun to find out you're running faster than you thought you were! Yes, a sub 30, you can do!

Tim F. said...

Great job! It sure does seem like you can break 30 mins at the 5K.