Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I Love Gadgets

It happens once a year in our house and it happened last week: I rolled change. The kids got involved by helping sorting the coins I’ve collected all year long. During nap/school I sat down with a movie and started rolling the coins. This last year was about average for us with $89 in coins. Once the coins were sorted and rolled ADP and I had to talk about what to do with the money. Thankfully (for me), I remembered what we did with the coins last year: bought ADP Guitar Hero for the Wii. So, I made a short but heartfelt talk about why I should get the money this year along with a few extra tens. He agreed! I got on the internet and went shopping.

Yesterday my new Garmin Forerunner 305 arrived! I had already run five miles on the treadmill in the morning but I just had to try it out. Thankfully, ADP’s dinner plans were cancelled so he was home at his normal time and I headed out on a short run. My afternoon run had one purpose: to try out my Garmin (I’m still pleased with my time even if it was for fun!).

I went with the 305 because I monitor my runs not by pace but by my heart rate. This comes from some fainting issues I had years ago and it has served me well so I’m not messing with it. Now, I just need to figure out how to cut and paste the lap data into a post.

7 comments:

Mark said...

I love my 305! I wonder what I did before I had it? Enjoy!!

JenLo said...

That is awesome! I also have a Forerunner--just a budget model (not a heart rate model) but I absolutely looove it too). Enjoy!

Manderz said...

I dont think there is a way to C&P (at least I havent figured it out yet lol).

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

YIPPEE what a great way to spend your change..

Tina at Gotta Run Now said...

I have a Garmin - the Forerunner 205. It has caused me a little trouble... Stopped during a marathon! Bad! But I'm so glad I have it. Don't know what I'd do without it. In my pre-Garmin days, I estimated my miles I had run. Wow, I was so off!!! Have fun with yours!

The Happy Runner said...

Yay! I have the 305, too, and love it!

On the toe issue, I've had a wonky toe forever -- a mixture of bunion, bone spur and arthritis in my right big toe. It's lovely.

The one thing that my podiatrist told me is that running on the treadmill is the worst thing for the toe. He wants me to have surgery and when I asked about recovery, he said 3 months, blah, blah, blah, slowly getting back to running outside and then running on the treadmill only when the toe is completely healed. I asked about that, thinking that the treadmill would be better for my toe than the roads and he said that the repetitive nature of the 'mill hurts problem toes more than running on roads. I guess because you're just stepping the same way over and over. Maybe your doc will say something different but I thought I would just share what mine told me.

sam said...

ahhhh SO jealous right now!! Lucky girl!!I want a garmin so bad!