Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Details Please

I like to know what is going on, so I’m a little frustrated with Sunday’s race. Next Sunday (less than a week now) I’ll be running my first half-marathon. I haven’t been on the course I’m running. I don't know where the start or finish are (I have mapped it out on a map, but I have never been there). I know I need to pick up my packet Saturday afternoon, but I don’t know where the Crowne Plaza is. Too many “I don’t knows” for me to be comfortable. I think I have my work cut out for me this week.

The biggest question I have is about the morning of the race, I am not sure what I’m going to do. The race is point-to-point. When I registered back in July I also bought a ticket so I could park at the finish line and take a bus to the starting line. I just looked more closely at the times and in order to catch the bus I need to leave home three hours before the race. If I just drive to the start I could leave 45 minutes before the start of the race. The question then becomes how do I get back to my car? I haven’t pushed ADP to bring the kids to the race (even if I really want them all at the finish line), but I think this will be what I need to ask them to come.

My goals started simple and have increased in the last month.

A+ goal: 2hr 11min
A goal: Run the whole race
A- goal (a.k.a. my original goal): Finish the race

I will admit that when I filled out my registration form I put 2hr 45min as my estimated finish time. Through training and increasing my mileage I have gotten faster (2 minutes/mile faster!) so my A+ goal is a lot faster than my estimated finish time. I plan on having fun, which is the most important goal of all.

3 comments:

Manderz said...

I also signed up for the bus. I believe you can park at the start and there will be a bus at the end to take you back to your car at the start area.

I am probably going to pick up the bus at the end at 6:45am (Groan!)

sam said...

I'm sure you will figure out all the "i don't knows"! But what alot to think about in the mean time. Good luck next weekend! I am sure you will kick some booty. And you are right focus on having fun, because if it's not fun why do it? =]

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I ALWAYS stress about those things. Is there an email for the race director? Maybe shoot off a couple questions. Generally there is a turn my turn directions to the course. Drive it if you can...but have someone else drive so you can get to know the course.

Is there anyone who will come to the Finish LIne to see you cross then drive you back to your car? I am afraid of the busses, I am sure it works fine but scares me.

BEST OF LUCK!!!