Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Benefits of Eating and Running

I’ve read numerous running articles about what to eat, how much to eat, and when to eat. The articles can give me the information I need (like carb : protein ratio), but the best way to know what you need is to listen to your body.

I’ve been trying to do this and it is amazing what you can learn about what nutrition you need if you just pay attention. Eat a balanced diet, drink plenty of (clear) fluids, and take your vitamins; we all know the drill. But, what about the extra things we love? Moderation is the key. There is nothing wrong with eating dessert, but you can’t eat the whole pan of brownies if you want to have the energy to run the next day. Sure, have a drink in the evening, but remember to chase it with 16 ounces of water. As I said: moderation.

The added benefit of fueling the body properly combined with exercise is all those pesky post-baby pounds will disappear. I am not one for weighing myself – my clothes fit or they don’t. Since having kids my clothes have been more on the “don’t” side. So, imagine my surprise when I pulled out a pair of jeans from college and tried them on. (We’ll ignore the question of why I still have a pair of jeans from college.) They fit. Not only did they fit, but there was a little room to spare. It is amazing what proper nutrition and exercise can do!

1 comment: