Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2009

1 Little, 2 Little, 3 Little …, 10 miles

We all learned one version of the song when we were young. I learned “1 little, 2 little, 3 little Indians” while my kids learned “1 little, 2 little, 3 little teddy bears.” Here is today’s version:

1 little, 2 little, 3 little miles
4 little, 5 little, 6 little miles
7 little, 8 little, 9 little miles
10 little* miles all done.

*I don’t think 10 miles is little so I tried to come up with an alternative ending relating to the half-marathon I’ll be running in under a month. I could only get the song to 9 miles ending with X.1 miles to go.

This morning I embarked on my first ever double digit run. I ate half of a banana before heading out and tried jellybeans during the run. I’ve been experimenting with what to eat and drink during my long runs. I prefer to drink water but then I need to have eat something while I’m running. Last week I had my first gel. I accidentally chose raspberry flavored gel; I do not like raspberry. It tasted a lot like the center of a raspberry filled donut, only a little more concentrated. This morning I had some jellybeans. I loved them. They were a little thick going down, but who doesn’t love jellybeans? I’ll try them out again next weekend.

I also had a new pain when I was running. I had no idea what it was other than tight on my left side. I googled hip when I got home and apparently it was my hip flexor that was tight during my run. I’ve participated in various exercise classes before and when they did stretches for the hip flexor I felt nothing. Today I know exactly what the stretch is supposed to feel like! I guess I have another stretch to add to the others I do.

Today: 10 miles
Weekly total: 29.9 miles (oh so close to 30!)
Training total: 184.6 miles

No comments: