Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Running from Shadows, 9.8 miles

Today was a much better day to run than yesterday. It wasn’t raining, instead when I got outside it was pitch black and the mist was so heavy it looked like fog (which I could only see around our house lights). Thankfully the mist stopped after a mile leaving only 98% humidity and 62F weather.

I learned a few things today while I was running. The first, and most important for me to actually remember, is that if I am planning on running on the main road I need to leave a little later in the morning. The subdivision I live in is lit enough so I can see where I’m going and where the dips and turns are. The main road is perfectly black at 5 a.m. The only reason I knew where to go is because I drive up and down the road multiple times a day (basically, every time I leave the subdivision). The path is also next to a nature preserve and I was pretty certain animals (not just mice and squirrels) live in there. I felt like I was running not only in the dark but away from the shadows in the trees.

The second thing is to check the mileage before leaving home. I was supposed to run 9 miles today but because I knew I had two runs (~4 miles and ~5 miles) I just combined them and went with it. When I got home I looked it up and found out I ran 9.8 miles (which is more than 9 miles).

The third thing is to watch what you eat the night before. I’m thankful that I had to run past my house at then end of 4.5 miles because I stopped for a pit-stop.

Fourth and final, (this isn’t new) enjoy the run!

Today:
  • 9.8 miles

Weekly total: 28.8 miles

Training total: 132.1 miles

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hi Suzy!
I run in the dark, too. I bought a headlight for cycling that had a strap that could be adjusted to wear on my arm. I street run near home, too, but it's nice to have the extra light for cars to see me and for me to see the road. I just went to REI sporting goods and asked for a light that had a strap that could be adjusted to my arm. My friend rollerblades, and got one that clips to her reflective vest.
Happy Running!
Kim (Sparqi)