Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Pace

I’m just going to put this out there: I RUN SLOW! For a long time this bothered me, but it no longer does. Who cares if it is going to take me (hopefully) 2 hrs 30 mins to run a half-marathon? I don’t. I’m going to enjoy it (as much as possible given that it is a 13.1 mile run), finish it and celebrate my accomplishment. I think what changed is my focus; I was focused on my pace and now I’m focused on the goal.

When you hear someone ran a long distance race you don’t ask for their finishing time or splits (okay, maybe some do but I don’t). Most people congratulate the person. People ask what type of insanity overcame the runner that prompted them not only to train for but also run such a distance. People may even want to run along next time. It is about setting a goal and completing it.

Now that I am not focused on my pace as much (I’d be lying if I said I didn’t care at all), I am enjoying running much more. Long runs are completed at a comfortable pace for me. Short runs, well I push some put I no longer chastise myself if I have a bad run.

Having a running goal in mileage instead of minutes is the best thing I have done since I first starting plodding along.

No comments: