Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Music as a Distraction

I don’t do much without music playing in the background. With music playing all the time, it is only logical that I would run outdoors with music playing (- when I’m on the treadmill I watch TV or DVDs). The problem is that there are problems with running while listening to music. First, you need the right kind of music for your running. Second, I don’t have enough “running” music to last a long run. Third, it can be dangerous to run with earphones blaring because you don’t hear runners/bikers/cars. Fourth, most races don’t allow mp3 players during the race.

Since the half-marathon I am planning on running doesn’t allow mp3 players I am getting used to running without music in the background. Yes, I miss having great music to help me up a hill or through a long boring stretch of road. But, listening to music isn’t worth it since I run on roads when the sun is coming up and I assume drivers don’t expect to see someone out running. I expect drivers to run stop signs, speed, and pay more attention to their coffee than the road; essentially, I need to be aware of my surroundings. I don’t even carry my mp3 player with me because the temptation would be too great. Plus, I am sick of hearing the same songs every time I run (like I said, I don’t have enough “running” music).

In the end it all comes down to this: I will be better mentally prepared on race day because I am running without my music today.

No comments: