Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

8/3, Hills

I had no idea how today’s run was going to go (good or bad or somewhere in the middle). I like routine. It is Monday, so I should have been in my basement running on my treadmill bright and early. I should be ready for the day by 6:30 a.m. by having my running out of the way. The problem is that I don’t think doing hill repeats on a treadmill is a good idea (plus it hurts my lower back). So, I had to come up with something different for today: go for a run when ADP gets home from work.

Today’s plan says “4-5 Hills (200 yds), 5K-10K pace.” Remember, I’m a beginner, I don’t have a clue how fast my “5K-10K pace” should be, and I HATE hills. Actually, hills aren’t actually hills – they are a primitive form of torture. With that said I put my brain to work and tried to figure out how fast I am supposed to run based on my long-run pace (more on pace another day). I calculated, planned, and even found a hill. However, things don’t always go to plan but at least I’m done with hills for another week.

Today:
  • .7 mile warm up
  • 4x 200 yds at 10K pace, 4% grade (according to mapmyrun.com) with 3 min cool between repeats
  • 1 mile cool down

Weekly total: 2.2 miles

No comments: