Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2009

8/15, 8.3 miles

This morning was a bit warmer than last week when I left the house about 5:30 and it was 65F outside (with light fog because it was so humid). I opted to leave my reflective vest at home because I was planning on running mainly after the sun came up (~6 a.m.).

Today was a first for me, well a first in a very long time: I ate something before running. All kinds of articles I read say you need to fuel before a run. Well, I mainly ignore those articles because I don’t want to get up any earlier to get food in my stomach and then wait around before I go for a run. This morning I tried it out by eating a half-banana about 20 minutes before I left. The banana didn’t bother my stomach in the least! I also took Powerade Zero with me again to get used to drinking it on the go. I think I’ll take water next time because I much prefer plain water.

My run had four hills I needed to run up. These aren’t hills that you find in trail running or during the NYC Marathon, these are Suzy size hills and I don’t like them. The first went fine; the last three didn’t. I managed to run up the last three hills but couldn’t keep going once at the top so I walked until my heart rate came back down to a normal level. The second and fourth hills are actually one in the same – 4-5% grade and ¼ mile long. So, the hills are just enough to wear me out.

Today:
  • 8.3 miles
  • cool

Weekly total: 21 miles

Training total: 83.3 miles

No comments: